Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need pizza help

Options
Central Pork
Central Pork Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a medium egg and have made pizza on it twice. Both times the crust has gotten too hard and a bit "burnt" on the bottom, before the toppings were cooked completely. I cooked at a dome temp of 400 and used a pizza stone on a raised grid. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.
Kevin

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]How long did you cook it for at 400°.[p]I follow Spins recipe that is listed in the recipe section. I had good luck this way from the first time.

[ul][li]Baking Section[/ul]
  • Central Pork
    Options
    Steve-B,
    I cooked it for 20 minutes. I put the stone on the raised grid , but next time i will put on firebricks as the link you sent me suggested. I guess i should have also used a higher temp than 400.
    Thanks,
    Kevin[p]

• Marine Cook
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]I dont know if you know but they make a plate setter for the medium. The extra cermic mass under the pizza stone in combination with razing the pizza might help also.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • pcrisp1.jpg
    <p />CentralPork,
    Try getting some air between your pixxa & your pizza stone, like with a pizza screen. Your crust isn't then sitting directly on the stone, which is getting too hot. [p]Try this:
    Use someting on the lower level to deflect the direct heat.
    Put the pizza on a screen then on the pizza stone. Even though the dome thermometer says 400° I'd bet that the bottom of the pizza stone is about 700°F because it is directly on top of your fire. [p]Take photo's!![p]Here is one I did using a cast iron pizza pan (Lodge) on a thick pizza stone in my ceramic cooker[p]normal_DSCN0944.JPG

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]I have a large and use a platesetter under the stone, but I cook it about 500-500 and look down the barrel to see when the top is done. Not too wise to look down the barrel of MY egg, huh?
  • CentralPork,[p]Made 2 perfect pizza's in my large egg last week. [p]Heat up the egg to 500 with the plate setter inside the egg. Cook the crust only for 6 minutes on the pizza stone. Take out the crust and add your sauce, cheese and toppings. Then put it back in on the pizza stone and cook for 12 minutes. Again at 500. The thickness of your crust may vary the cooking time but mine were perfect. [p]We made our own crust and my son who works in a pizzaria has me "dock" the pizza crust before cooking. That means take a fork and put about 150,000 holes in the crust. RThat will keep it from bubbling up.
  • Bluegillman
    Options
    jiarby,
    "cast iron pizza pan (Lodge)", Something new? How big is it? Did it also say "Lodge" on the bottom? I love Dutch Ovens.[p]

• UnConundrum
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]Watch your sugar content in the dough. Also, 20 minutes is too long for a thin pizza. Raise the temp and get it out of the oven faster....
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]Definitely do the platesetter and the pizza screens. Also, something I like to do is use FRESH mozzarella. It has a much lower melting point than aged mozzarella. IMO - it tastes better too. You can find some other "soft" cheeses to try instead, like some types of goat cheese (which I finally tried and don't care for!).
  • yep... it is a Lodge Product, available at Amazon with the link below...
    14" in diameter, but has handles that really make your clearance 16"[p]Here it is in action:
    normal_DSCN0943.JPG

[ul][li]Lodge Pizza Pan[/ul]