Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best steak for a philly steak and cheese?

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight i'm going to cook a flank steak for a steak and cheese sub. Wifes away for the night (so it'll be us boys) and what's more manly than a steak and cheese with green peppers, mushrooms, and onions off the egg :woohoo: . I'm sure it'll be good, but is there an "official" cut of beef that is normally used in steak and cheese subs? What do you guys use?

DSCN1833.jpg
Although i don't think this future egghead is quite ready for a steak and cheese yet... :angry:

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The two big places featured on the food network the other night both used real thin cut ribeye steak as the starting point.
    Will be looking for photos in the morning...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    thin sliced rib eye and it is easier to slice if it is chilled almost to the point of being frozen
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    What Photo Egg and bill said!
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Great Pic As a Philly person I would have to say rib eye
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    since im not from philley and would not use the orange cheese... sirloin steak tips, american, cabbott, and hoffman supersharp would probably be my choice. i used to go to a place that made terryaki steak subs that were killer. orange cheese :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    May52006123.jpg

... for his cheesesteaks and they are always the best homemade cheesesteaks ever.
    The chipped top round is all beef flavor and very tender.... not chewy.
    Chuck gets his rolls fresh from a local bakery.... gotta love living in the north east for the abundance of high quality bakers, butchers and locally grown fruits and veggies....

Here's Chuck's recipe...

May52006107.jpg

May52006117.jpg

NewHolland07CheeseSteaks.jpg

A cast iron skillet works great on the egg at about 325.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs Chip steak (my butcher shaves down top round for me)
    2 Large Sweet onions, thinly sliced
    1 12 Oz Can Mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 lb american cheese or provolone
    rolls (if you can't get a real Philly steak roll use club rolls)
    Dizzy Pig Cowlick Steak Rub
    olive oil
    butter

Procedure:
    Saute onions in olive oil, remove from pan. Saute mushrooms in butter, remove from pan. Melt some more butter and add the steak to the pan. Grill the steak until browned tearing it apart with two spatulas. Season with the Cowlick to taste. Add the onions and mushrooms back in and mix well. Cover the meat mixture with the cheese, when melted use a spatula to put it in the roll.

john
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    I've got a friend that owns a cheesesteak shop here in Philly. He uses choice ribeye.

I prefer mine "whiz-mush-with" (that's cheese whiz, mushrooms, and onions).

Yeah, that's right... cheese whiz. I'm not afraid of it! (A cheesesteak is the only thing I eat it on though! :lol: )

__Jason
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    You didn't take baloney and orange cheese on white bread in your lunch bag when you were a kid?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Ribeye would be the authentic cut but top round, sirloin etc,,,,, sliced thin all work. The rolls really make it work and just can't get those So. Philly rolls down here :(
  • fishlessman
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i drew the line with lunches, no lunch money then no school, and i didnt care what they did :laugh: :laugh: ma wanted to make all the baloney sandwiches for the week on sunday and freeze them, wasnt going to happen, told dad he could eat them, i think they went in the trash. orange cheese is for macaroni, mcdonalds cheeseburgers, not for ribeye :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I like to use ribeye. When I get a whole ribeye, I save a 2 inch thick slice, partially freeze it and then slice it thin on my meat slicer.

But I've also used the "chain of bull" or side meat trimmed off of a whole beef tenderloin too. I just pick out the lean pieces and pound them flat with a meat mallet.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • guzzijason
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    since im not from philley and would not use the orange cheese... sirloin steak tips, american, cabbott, and hoffman supersharp would probably be my choice. i used to go to a place that made terryaki steak subs that were killer. orange cheese :ermm:

You shy away from "orange cheese", but suggest using "American cheese"?

I'm not sure exactly what you refer to as "orange cheese", but American cheese comes in white, yellow, and orange varieties - and the ingredients for each is exactly the same except for the coloring.

Cheese Whiz is closely related to American cheese, just in a saucy form factor!

Cheese Whiz is considered by many to be the "traditional" topping for a Philly cheesesteak (myself included), but American and provolone are very common here in Philly as well.

I once had a "Philly cheesesteak" in Houston which had pepperjack or some nonsense on it. I got it out of curiosity, but have since learned that ordering a Philly cheesesteak anywhere outside of Philly is usually just asking for disappointment :laugh:

__Jason
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    That is what I was waiting on!!

Thanks for the mouth full of saliva Mr. Wooooooo Dooooooooggggggggies!
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    Options
    We love standing rib roast, we shave the leftover meat for sammys,served with onions,green peppers and covered with provolone cheese :):)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think you would have to special order orange cheese up here, maybe they have it out back :laugh: cabot still delivers wheels to the delis thats kept under the big glass lid, way better than what happens when they wrap it in plastic for the supermarkets where the cheddar actually gets rubbery, the wheel stuff almost chips when you cut it
    fukahwee maine

• guzzijason
    Options
    What I'm saying, though, is that "American" and "orange" cheese are the same exact thing. If you got American, then you've got orange... it just happens to be a different color is all.

Cabot clothbound is one of the best cheddars I've ever had. Way better than most of the other Cabots, but it's a lot harder to come by.

But then again, I'm not sure why a discussion of Philly cheesesteaks has anything to do with cheddar! :laugh:

^^^
    Just kidding... I'm not really that O.C.D. over who puts what on cheesesteaks - as long as *mine* are made the way *I* like, that's all that really matters ;)

__Jason
  • highpress
    Options
    Will be looking for photos in the morning...

In between fixing dinner and watching a 5 months old, if i can take pics i certianly will. Although he can be quite a handfull.... :pinch:
  • highpress
    Options
    i had flank steak in the freezer so I'm kinda stuck with that... And the rolls i got from local grocer are pathetic "club" rolls. Whatever, it's bread, and it'll be filled with mayo, steak, mushrooms and cheese... how bad could it be! maybe pics later, thanks guy!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    probably more a newengland thing, once on a fishing trip out west with about ten of us, went to get the cheese for some burgers and it was all orange, we (everyone) decided not to have cheese that night on the burgers ;) wasnt much of a fan of the green ketchup that heinzs put out years ago either :laugh: it did taste the same as red, just reminded you of goose droppings ;)
    fukahwee maine

• guzzijason
    Options
    LOL! Sort of reminds me of how Perdue feeds their chickens corn and marigolds so that the skin is nice and yellow, because they somehow determined that Americans prefer yellow-skinned chickens to paler ones.

(personally, I couldn't care less about fresh chicken skin color, as they always end up brown and crispy by the time I'm done with 'em anyway!) :)

__Jason
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Aw man I can taste them now. And I can hear Chuck's spatula scraping that beautiful gooey stuff out of the cast iron pan.

Man, you are a picture producing machine!

Hope to see you in Easton for a spell this weekend. Lard may make an appearance as well.
    Beers (good cold summer pilsner) to you.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    I like to use the scraps and chain meat from when I trim a whole tenderloin. No waste here. :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Now one of these years I'm gonna have to get to Maryland and be first in line for one of those!
  • thebbqguru
    thebbqguru Posts: 12
    Options
    I like tri-tip, sliced thin on a slicer!
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Sound wonderful, The baby is so cute.

Pattik
    Wichita, Ks