Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Book Series Recommendation

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in Off Topic
It's been a while since we've done any book discussions over here on this thriving forum. I just finished a pretty lengthy trilogy and was duly impressed.

The author is Steig Larsson of Sweden. He was in the midst of writing a 10-book series and suffered a massive heart attack while in the fourth book. The three that are published actually tie up the story quite nicely.

The books are "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire", and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest". Aside from a few cultural differences and Swedish geography, the story was incredibly well written and easy to follow. It's been a long time since I've read any fiction where I found myself totally engrossed. The characters and developed well beyond any I can recall, and their interaction circles in ways the reader cannot imaging until the paths cross.

Though long books, they read quickly and easily. If you are looking for any good reads to finish out the summer I would put these on your list.

Comments

• SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Thanks Rod
    I just put these on my library's list and will start with the 1st book.
  • i heard the "Dragon Tattoo" one was horribly written... not so?

How's your progress on Ulysses?
    hahaha
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The first one is a little hard to get started, but the "horribly written" comment is likely from someone that doesn't realize it was a translation from Swedish. The books really progresses nicely and each subsequent one picks up on where the previous left off.

The only grips is the chapters are long and it's hard to get a good stopping point.

Ulysses and I are not agreeing on a few terms right now. Usually it's because I like a glass of scotch and Joyce clearly did not intend me to read his prose while even slightly under the influence. I think I may have to swallow it a few paragraphs at a time. It honestly made my brain hurt the other day. I thought that was medically impossible.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ah, Apparently you have not ventured in to Sir Ian Fleming or Tom Clancy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Glad to hear U was painful for you too. Was afraid you'd find it a cakewalk.
    Lot of backstory...
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    I'll have to check those out.

I just went way back in time and read the entire "Foundation" series by Asimov. I read the 7 books by Asimov and not the 2 that were later written by other authors.

I normally lean more toward the "Blade Runner" type stuff when it comes to sci-fi but it was nice to read what is often called the "grandfather" of the genre. You can really see his influence after reading these.

Lately I've been into Neal Stephenson's stuff like "Anathem", and the "Baroque Cycle" stuff. It's neat if you like history because the "Baroque Cycle" is filled with references to Newton, Hooke, Boyle, etc. One of his best works is Cryptonomicon.

Aside from that I read a little Stephen King, Clive Barker. China Mieville and anything written by William Gibson.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Fidel, I've read the books and now I'm engrossed in the audio books. It has made my commute enjoyable. The narrator, Simon Vance is fabulous. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie will be out very soon.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I have them on my wish list I have a Sony E-Reader and I just love it. The audio books are good to but I get to engrossed and forget that I am driving. Have to do them at home. I just read Snowbound by Blake Crouch it was a great book and another author I am reading is Heather Graham.

Patti
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Finished the third book last month on vacation.
    I like the three very much and have now passed all three on to others.
    Very good reads.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.