Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Kettle Grills

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in Off Topic
A good friend of mine, after years of catching sh!t from me over cooking on gas, has decided to go "charcoal". He isnt ready to spring for an Egg(yet)and wants to use something cheaper for a year or two.
So, Saturday we are going to Home Depot for a Standard 22" Weber, chimney starter, grill thermometer, & cover. We will drill a hole in the dome for therm. I am donating a bag of Royal Oak N.A. lump to the cause.

My question is....regarding temp control. It obviously has a vent on the dome. Web searching has led to conflicting information on whether the pedals in the bottom(operated by side handle)are for clearing ash or providing airflow. Can anyone offer clarity?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    The "petals" are for clearing ash primarily!
    Honestly I can't remember if they are seperate from the bottom vent wheel, or now a part of it.

I still use my old Weber once every...but it is the pre "petals" version!! Imagine...having to get in there and clean out the damm thing...lol!!

Here's a snap of my no-drill thermo setup...(wich actually works very well)

Smokin2.jpg

It does require a new cork every year or so...lol!!

Congrats to your Buddy!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Bacchus
    Options
    So there IS some sort of ventilation in the base?
  • Chubby
    Options
    Yes they do, the design is a bit different now, that's all.

It used to be just like the top vent in my pic...but on the underneath side.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Is your dome therm fixed permanately? Looks like it may prevent adjustment to dome vent... :huh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    mine was an old version with a couple simple holes and i think it was just swinging plates. half open foe low and slow to chicken, all open for anything hotter. here is what i found on the newer version

http://www.hotsmokebbq.com/002gear/weber_bottom_vent_marking.php
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubby
    Options
    no...it's cliped underneath (like a BGE therm)...and you can rotate the wheel then to adjust!!

b6330012.jpg

This is engineering dammit!!

Besides...it's not like this is Max you're talking to here!!
    I think I could even prove to Tweeve that this outfit works...lol!!

Ps...If it was me..I'd
    talk your buddy into getting the 22", and not the 18.5". Might as well get the acreage while he's at it!
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thanks Fish.
    He is looking at the cheaper model which does have the "pedals" in the bottom and a handle on the side, but not the aluminum cylindrical piece under pictured in your link. I assume that is to catch ash primarily, but also has that sort of "guide" for temp control it appears. So I suppose the thing to do on the cheaper model is leave it wide open normally, then if going low temp, empty all the ash so you can set the vent visually before building the fire. Both cases using dome vent for control after fire is lit.......
    The model with the cylindrical deal is $200+, almost getting into used Egg territory. And he wouldnt need a chimney starter or therm, saving another $50.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thanks Chubby. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    if i were getting a kettle i would probably get the 18 because i would also be getting a water smoker ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubby
    Options
    Fish makes a point about also being able to retrofit with WSM parts for a smoker, (i think that's what he ment)! Either way...he'll be learning temp/air control...and soon, (once you sell him yours used at a real good price... :woohoo: )...he'llbe ready to step up to an Egg already having the basics down!
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Nice Chubby
    The DD on your vent designates it as a 2000 year model. Good you are still taking care of her after a decade. I love my 3 BGE's but I also love my 18 & 22.5 Weber S.M.'s
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    It is for airflow
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    I still have my Weber Performer that my wife gave me for our first christmas together, and I still use it occasionally.

You can use the bottom vents in a similar way to the bottom vent on the egg, the more you close it the less air gets to the coals. Its not as easy to control as the egg but the principal in my opinion is the same.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The "one touch" system is now used to replace the old style turn vents in the base to control air intake. This system also allows you to sweep the ash back and forth and it will drop out into the ash catcher. It works good. I still cook on the Weber a fair amount.
    I used a step bit to enlarge my pilot hole for my temp guage. I used one of the larger models from a local BBQ shop and I think it took a 5/8" hole.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas