Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Ancho Chili Help

Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend just gave me a large bag of dried ancho chilis. They look great and smell awesome. I have never used these. Anyone have any good ideas on what to do or what to cook with these ?????????????????[p]Thanks

Comments

• Memphis,[p]I didn't have much of a recipe but I did have a 4hours out of the water fresh coho salmon on Sunday that was quickly grilled with a coating of olive oil, kosher salt, one dried and chopped (flaked, actually) ancho chili, and a chipotle chili powder I've been experimenting with (homemade grilled, dried and ground jalepenos).
    Very tasty, though I had to tone down the chipotle a little for the kids. Darn I'm going to have to start taking pictures of this stuff!
    The ancho is a good flavor, and not too hot. I think you could use it on almost anything you want a mild to medium chili flavor in.[p]experiment and good luck!

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Memphis,
    First, if you haven't already, you need to thank your friend profusely. These are fairly mild and flavorful chiles that have a multitude of uses, both fresh and dried.[p]You can use them broken up in marinades, soups and stews, pulverized in sauces, finely ground in chili powder mixes and rubs, as a flavoring for vinegar and oils, and in any combination of the above, etc., etc. [p]From personal experience, I'd say if you're using them to flavor vinegar or some other sauce by steeping, use the skin, seeds, stems and whatever to get maximum flavor. If you're using them to make chili powder by grinding, moderate the inclusion of seeds you let into the grind, depending on the flavor and heat you want. Keep in mind that these peppers are NOT at all hot compared to, say, habaneros.[p]Good luck,
    Bob

• Memphis,[p]Ancho chilis are normally handled much like dried mushrooms. i.e. soak them in very warm water for 20 to 30 minutes to soften them up and then use them in a recipe.[p]They'd be great pureed into a mayo in a food processor and I recall making a recipe from a local chef's cookbook for a BBQ butter for slathering on grilled corn (directly no husk) that consisted of blending softened butter, minced ancho chilis, orange zest, garlic and a bit of molasses. To DIE for![p]Todd
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    HolySmokes,
    I'm curious about the chipotles. How long should I roast the jalapenos, etc? I'd like to make some to try in a chili powder I am developing.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Grind 'em up and use 'em in rubs. Great stuff![p]Jim
  • cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Memphis,[p]You may laugh, but grind them up and dust them in with chocolate. Cookies, cakes, whatever....It will be fabulous.
  • FatDog,[p]I cut them in half lengthwise and smoke/roast them on med-low for at least a few hours (diehards do a smoke only for 24), turning as needed, until they become tan to dark brown and shriveled, but not yet really dry. Then remove the seeds and webs (depends on how hot you want 'em). I've seen recipies that prefer oak, mesquite, or fruitwoods... I have lots more to try before I decide a preference.[p]I either chop them fine and use them as is in sauces or put them in a food dryer overnight to remove the last moisture and grind them into chili powder to use in rubs. It adds a great smokey flavor, and of course some heat.[p]There's lots of good advice on the web; google "chipotle recipe" and you'll read for quite a while![p]all best!