Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any salmon experts here?

Options
hornhonk
hornhonk Posts: 3,841
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a demo cook Saturday and have been asked to Egg salmon. I went to Central Market and bought a cedar plank and they donated a small piece of King Salmon for me to do a dry run with. I know to soak the plank,. but that's about it. I have all of the Dizzy Pig rubs on hand. Help, please, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Check the Dizzy Pig web site.
    Very good...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Raging River. Cook to 137 degrees (ala TRex instructions). Soak the plank for 4 hrs in water. You don't want it catching fire.
  • volsegghead39
    Options
    The key is like you mentioned to soak the plank. After that it is pretty simple. I have tried salmon so many different ways but for me the most flavorful is w/ the salmon plank. You know it is done when the fish flakes off. The main thing is not to dry it out. I would suggest heating the egg up to about 350 and then put the fish on from there
    Good luck
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    OK, Darian. Coming to the Big P in Nov.?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC00562a.jpg

Don't know about expert level, but I sure cook a lot of it. Heheee. Here is one of two sides I cooked at the Wild West Eggfest last month, it presents well and what folks don't realize..... it's really easy to cook. And almost impossible to overcook. Good thing you have time for a test cook, I've never really cared for the flavor from cedar planks, so I opt of either alder or apple.

I put a light sprinkle of pepper (or garlic pepper) on all my salmon as a base, and since you have Raging River it works great for the top layer. So does Tsunami Spin. Thin lemon (and or lime) slices are good for a visual, as is fresh dill or you can even go with a pesto-type slather.

DSC07422acloseup.jpg

Here is the direct link to my salmon page... I cover grilling and planking there. Feel free to ask any questions.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/01/grilled-salmon-and-planked-salmon.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    Here is the way I always do it. I've modified a Cooks Illustrated recipe a bit and get raves every time. The cooking time seems insane but it it really works (it took me several times to muster up the courage to cook it that long!).

Hot-Smoked Salmon

Origin: Cook's Illustrated

Alterations By: A.F. Cremer

Yield: 4 to 6

Prep Time: 3 hours

Cooking Time: 1 1/2 Hours

Ingredients:

● 1/2 cup kosher salt
    ● 1 cup sugar
    ● 1 salmon fillet (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin on, pin bones removed
    ● olive oil
    ● DP Raging River
    ● Maple syrup

Directions:

Removing Pin Bones from Salmon: Locating and removing the pinbones from salmon can be tricky. Running your fingers along the flesh is one way to locate them, but we like to drape the salmon over an inverted mixing bowl. The curvature of the bowl forces the pinbones to stick up and out, so they are easier to spot, grasp with needle-nose pliers or tweezers, and remove, (see related quick tip for illustration).

1. Dissolve salt and sugar in 2 cups of hot water in gallon-sized zipper-lock plastic bag. Add 5 cups cold water and salmon, seal bag, and refrigerate until fish is fully brined, about 3 hours.

2. Remove salmon from brine and blot dry completely with paper towels. Place fillet, skin-side down, on 30-inch sheet of heavy-duty foil. Rub both sides of fillet, especially skin side, with oil. Dust flesh side of fillet with Raging River. Drizzle on some maple syrup

3. Meanwhile, set up the Big Green Egg for indirect heat or direct, elevated heat. Stabilize at about 300℉ then add a mild smoking wood, such as Apple or Peach.

4. Slide salmon off foil and onto grill rack. Barbecue until cooked through and heavily flavored with smoke, about 1 1/2 hours.

5. Use two spatulas to remove salmon from grill. Serve either hot or at room temperature, cutting through flesh but not skin to divide salmon into individual portions and sliding spatula between flesh and skin to remove individual pieces, leaving skin behind.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Cedar plank all the way, follow DP's recipe, the key is the butter/maple syrup glaze at the end...melt in yo mouth good!!!

salmonwalktheplank.jpg
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi H.H.
    It is all a matter of taste and everyone varies. Me personally I soak board overnight. I pat dry the fish side and coat lightly with EVOO and fish skin side. Place skin side on plank. Season to your liking, I use sometimes for salmon P.P. Salmon Magic. I then cook at 325 till 140-160 depending of fish, thickness and size. Temps will vary with your personal taste. I have been cooking cedar plank style for over 20 years and use my planks over and over, some have lasted for 10-15 filets till I finally used a new one.

1-27-07%20(3).jpg?psid=1

5-13-07%20001.jpg?psid=1
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    I have been experimenting with different methods of cooking salmon the one that yielded the most consistant and tasty results are as follows:

The software:

1. Full filet Salmon skin on or off

2. About 3 Tsp. olive oil

3. About 1 Tsp. dry Dill

4. Pinch Kosher salt

5. few grinds of black pepper

6. Fresh Dill

The Hardware:

1. Small bowl

2. Wisk

3. large tray

4. Weber round grill that slightly smaller than your main grill

5. 4 1/3rded firebricks

6. two spatulas

7. Four kindling size pieses of Alder wood

Start your fire in multi places in egg, open all vents. Time to prepare the Salmon leave whole or cut in half depending size of egg, filets must lie flat on raised grill.

Mix all ingrediants except fresh Dill, this will make a thick paste. Rub it on both sides of the Salmon.

Now back to the egg it by now is probably about 450 to 500 degrees. lift grill and place your Alder wood on the fire. Time to build your raised grill, place four 1/3 cut fire bricks tall side (4") up and place smaller grill on bricks ala raised grill. Close egg and allow egg to heat back up to 475 to 500 dergrees. (about 5 minutes). Place Salmon on upper grill skin side down. In approx. 8min start doing the finger push test the firmer it feel the more done it is. The high heat will caramelize the underside of the fish and will prevent sticking and the raise grill makes flipping the salmon unnecessary. When done remove from grill place in platter garnish with Fresh Dill.
    Sometime simple is better.
    FireWalker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    best hint I ever got was from Chris at DP - using a sharp knife cut that mud vein out that runs down the side under the skin. That removes the part that taints the rest of the salmon that turns off a lot of people about salmon.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Haven't bothered with the planks in years, it's great without it and I prefer the skin with a nice sear anyway.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have done salmon lots of ways and since I found the DP recipe it has become my favorite.
    I still use the cedar plank. I do it indirect, so a one or two hour soak is plenty.
    DP Raging River, 350 dome til internal about 138, apply the butter/syrup glaze about halfway through. Cook will take 30-40 min, depending on thickness of fish.
    4604533375_27fdb0efc2_b.jpg

It is terriffic! :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    WoW Capt!
    Looks moist and nice color. I will have to try your technique. Where do you get your planks? Those cedars look mighty thick.

P.S. Do you know Capt. Ed Walker?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • zflava
    zflava Posts: 43
    Options
    I think you have plenty of recipes and cooking methods offered here. I would just add that my favorite way to prepare it is to cut in small pieces like Capt Frank's picture. That way each piece has it's own nice slightly crispy edge. I coat the planks with olive oil and poor honey garlic sauce on the fish before the cook.

I cook em' at 450 - 500 degrees direct. Unbelievably moist :P

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Sorry, I have been away for a couple of hours. To answer your question, I use western red cedar trim lumber that I get from Home Depot or Lowe's. 1x6x3/4" material. This stuff is smooth on one side and rough finished on the other. I sand the rough side a little and cut the board to 14" lengths. I have some planks that have been used 6-8 times, when they get charred I just sand off the burnt material and reuse them.
    Some folks have questioned me on using this in the past, but I have been doing it for 10-12 years, and it is perfectly safe. This type of cedar is not treated with anything and is as harmless as anything you will pay top dollar for packaged as "Grilling Planks!" :)
    And it is cheap :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL