Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

recommendations for tri-tip

Options
Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today, I picked up a nice tri-tip. I hve never cooked a tri-tip, but have heard that it can be a great cut of meat. My dilemma is that I some people I have spoken with recommend dry rub only, while others recomment dry rub and a mopping sauce, and others recommend marinading. Therefore, I come to you guys seeking and advice or experience you ahve concernint cooking tri-tip. I will make sure and let you guys know how the cook turns out with pics.

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich makes this at the EBTB and comes out great:

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009
    Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks Boxerpapa, I appreciate it.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Little Chef taught me a great simple method. Marinate in red wine for 1+ hours and then salt and pepper. Cook on a raised grid at 400 dome, turning at least twice, till your meat hits 120-122 and then tent under foil for 10 minutes. slice on the bias or against the grain and it's so tender. I've done 3 in the past week and a half and they all got great reviews.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    TRI TIP POST FROM SATURDAY

Beef Tri-Tip1 - The story behind Tri Tip Beef (a.k.a. Triangle Roast): This cut of meat is limited in availability because there is only one per side of beef. Therefore it is typically ground into hamburger or cut into cubes and sold as soup meat. This often over looked piece of meat is not only relatively inexpensive but also very flavorful and has become a favorite amongst the few in the know. The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. It has great flavor and tends to be much lower in fat than most cuts of beef i.e., it's a good lean cut of beef.

The thing to remember is that lean also means it will dry out faster so it is recommended that you prepare with a good marinade &/or Rub. Particularly good flavors for tri-tip are Southwestern or Asian. Because tri-tip is lean, be careful not to overcook it, particularly when preparing the full roast. Medium is as far as you should go with this cut. Use a meat thermometer to monitor often during cooking. If you are used to grilling other cuts, this one can throw some grillers off by appearing underdone when it is ready to serve and by the amount it ‘swells’ when cooked.

Santa Maria/Grilled Soy Lime Style – This simple tri tip recipe utilizes a hybrid marinade that is loosely based on a combination of spices picked up from two different recipes. It was slightly adjusted from the original posted a few weeks ago, but only slightly.

Ingredients:• 2-3 Lb. Tri-tip roast (ORGANIC)
    • Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Blends – Meat Magic
    Seasoning Marinade:

• 2 teaspoons freshly ground 4-color pepper
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 Tbls. Garlic powder
    • 2 Tbls. Sea Salt (fresh ground)
    • 1 ½ Cups Apple Juice (100% pure juice)
    • ¼ Cup Soy Sauce (low sodium)
    • 2 ½ Tsp. Lime Juice
    • 1 Tbls. Red Pepper Flakes
    • 2 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    • ½ Tsp. Fresh Ground Ginger Root
    • Optional: Corn Syrup or Honey (3 Tbls.)

Basting Sauce:
    • ½ cup red wine vinegar
    • ½ cup vegetable oil (or EVOO) (add garlic powder if you can’t find garlic infused oil)

Preparation and cooking:
    1. Mix together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the tri tip in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Place in refrigerator for 4-8 hours turning occasionally.
    2. Whisk basting sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside for basting.
    3. Lightly oil your cooking grid and fire up BGE to T-Rex. Remove from Marinade and pat dry. Rub each side with Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic then sear the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3-4 minutes per side.
    4. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. Option: During this cool down period consider adding a few oak chunks to your lump.
    5. Now set up BGE for Indirect cooking (plate setter) and return the tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees (approximately 35 minutes) for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes (optional).
    6. Return the tri-tip back into the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees, basting every 5 to 10 minutes.
    7. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes; to serve cut into ½” slices against the grain.2

1 Paraphrased from Beef Tri-Tip, One of the best cuts you are probably not buying, By Derrick Riches, About.com Guide 2 this recipe is adapted loosely from Foodnetwork.com’s website; titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ”

DSC_1821.jpgDSC_1823.jpg

CLICK HERE to follow my blogsite
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Nice! Thanks for detailed recipe and photos
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    That does sound simple enough. SOmetimes simple is the best
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Roll Tide....I like mine marinated in a good red wine, with a ton of garlic, salt and pepper. (Yeah...my"go to" marinade.....but SO good) Keep it simple. If this is your first tri-tip, you may consider just S&P so you can truly get the flavor of the meat. Marinade doesn't tenderize really....just adds flavor to the outer 1/8" of the meat. Cook to 5-8* less than your desired temp, and allow a rest. Then carve across the grain. Very flavorful cut. Enjoy!

ps....Roll Tide??? Ummmm....GO GATORS!!!! :woohoo: :whistle::)
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    Tri tip is one of my favorite summer cuts, easy to prep, good price and feeds a few people, also great in sandwiches as leftovers. Remember tri tip is a piece of sirloin, I always sear over high heat pull off the egg, stabilize at 350-400 and roast indirect until 126 deg. internal. The morrow bay Rich method is a classic, I usually just hit it with beef rub (no sugar) and onto the egg. This cut also does well marinated as well. Good Luck.
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on the cook. I have really thought about keepin the cook very simple like only s&p to enjoy the meat and flavor of the cut. As far as the Gator comment, I'll let that slide this time....lol I figure we'll see you guys twice this season since we're in season rotation. ROLL TIDE ROLL!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    well I do mine naked, mostly, maybe a sprinkle of some seasoning like Stubbs, then I slow cook it indirect at 250 dome till it gets to about 125, then I remove it and the indirect setup and bring the Egg to sear temps, then sear the meat and away we go.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    well I do mine naked, mostly, maybe a sprinkle of some seasoning like Stubbs, then I slow cook it indirect at 250 dome till it gets to about 125, then I remove it and the indirect setup and bring the Egg to sear temps, then sear the meat and away we go.