Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib advice needed (warning wife involved)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife volunteered to cook a meal for a couple that just had a baby in our church. She was going to cook something wifey when the man said that he heard I had a great grill and would love some ribs. Now in the past I have dutifully followed the 3/1/1.5 method for pork ribs with excellent results.[p]So I start the fire this morning and begin to give instructions to my wife. When I start talking about wrapping the ribs in foil after three hours, waiting an hour and then going direct...well, she gave me the same look she gives me when I want passion at 4 a.m. [p]So my question is will the ribs be ok if she just cooks them indirect at 250 for 5-5.5 hrs? Should I have her wrap them in foil after there done?[p]If I had only known devotion to Egging would be a non-negotiable characteristic when I was searching for a spousal unit...

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Ham 'n Egg,[p]What're you cooking..... spares, babybacks... are they going to be served right off the grill or later?[p]You should have no problem cooking spares indirect for that long. I never foil spares and they alway turn out really well. You may want to go direct the last bit to firm up the bark or any sauce you may be using on them.[p]Good Luck!
    John[p]

• Ham 'n Egg,[p]I just did 4 racks of St Louis style ribs at 250 for 6 hours indirect and they came out great!
  • Ham 'n Egg,
    The only thing you may have to worry about is the color of the ribs. too much rub will turn them damn near black. A good dusting of rub and the right wood should give you a really good color. I cook 2 lb - 2.25 lb loin backs for 5.5 to 6 hours unwrapped. Have never considered wrapping ribs. Brisket now is another story. [p]Odis

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Ham 'n Egg, they wont be fall of the bone like the 3 1 1.5 method however you can get them to lightly pull off the bone. inderect high in the dome at 230- 250 is the way i like them. eat one when they start to look right and keep sampling every half hour until done. 5-6.5 hours depending how big they are. you can wrap them and place in cooler for a half hour or so to soften them some more.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jwitheld
    Options
    Ham 'n Egg,
    First of all, Ribs are supplied by MAN, biblical reff.erence clearly shows this and continues to show that woman (wife) recieves ribs. With that it is your religeous reaponsibility to keep the wife in ribs.