Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex Method... In a word:

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OBSCENE.[p]Folks... if you haven't tried it, STOP DEPRIVING YOURSELVES. [p]I tried it tonight and the only regret I have is I didn't make myself two steaks. BTW... make sure you include the olive oil... it brings a lot to the table.

Comments

• One of the King's Men,
    I tried the T-Rex method a while back with a couple of 2" plus tenerloin fillets and was somewhat dissapointed in the results. I seared at approx 700 degrees for 90 seconds on each side, let rest for 20 min, then put back on for about 4 minutes on each side at 400 degrees..steaks were very rare, not even close to med rare..I guess I should have seared longer?

• BBQ2,
    give those 2" filets another try w/ trex. . .you do have to adjust for 2' thick vs. 1 1/2 inch thick steaks. . .i've found that 30 seconds of sear per 1/2 inch of steak works really well. . .(trex's original instruction of 90 seconds per side sear was based on a 1 1/2 inch thick steak). . .so 2 minutes per side for the sear for those filets. . .also, go for over 700 degrees. . .again, i typically sear more in the 800 - 900 range fore best results (700 leaves me with mushy middles sometimes. .. btw, i buy whole tenderloins at price club and cut them myself so i typically am trexing 2" thick steaks. . ..then after the 20 minute dwell go for something more like 6 minutes per side for medium rare in a 400 degree egg. . .this usually gives me very good results. . ..[p]so, don't give up on those 2 inchers and trex quite yet. ..

• BBQ2,[p]Max is right, hotter is better. [p]I think 2" steaks actually work better than 1.5".[p]Last week I TRexed a 2.75" Porterhouse that was really great...[p]
    Jeff

• Jeff Hughes,
    wow!! what did that thing weigh in at? about 4 pounds?. . . [p]my safeway has been selling really thick steaks lately (their new angus line) that have been very good. . .whil i like my rib in the form of prime rib roast, they had some 2" + ribeyes recently and i bought one that served 3 of us for dinner (it weighed in at just under 3 pounds), and man, it was great trexed with kosher salt and dizzy cow lick. . ..but you got to do the sear at lava like temps IMHO

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    One of the King's Men,[p]Another thing to keep in mind ...[p]What temp were the steaks when you put them on the grill the first time? Did you let them come up to room temp before puttting them on the grill? I don't recall if TRex addresses this specifically or not BUT it really impacts the cooking times, especially when doing very hot, short sears. [p]This is why I still use a Polder to check even my steak temps for doneness. I know there are those who will call me a pansy for doing this, that one *should* be able to tell just by look/feel but I've been fooled too many times. PLUS I can easily determine different degrees of doneness for various guests, who all seem to want theirs done differently than the rest.
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks for the good advise, I'll try it again your way.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    BBQ2,[p]Oops! My reply, concerning the temp of the meat before it's put on the grill, was intended for YOU! LOL