Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken...to turn or not to turn

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on doing my first spatchcock chicken and am not sure if I should turn it. The Naked Whiz web directions say not to, but archival posts by the Whiz say to turn it about half-way. What should I do? Also would anybody recommend using a polder probe to test for doneness? I have to impress my mother-in-law tonight so any help would be great. Thanks![p]Art

Comments

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Art,
    If you flip you must be careful because a lot a fat will be rendered from the skin and drip on the coals This will give the chicken skin a bad flavor. I have had succes flipping the chicken for the last 5 minutes of the cook time to crisp it up just a little. Another option I have heard is to let the chicken skin air dry some before you cook it. I haven't tried that yet. I usually cook two 4-5 pound chickens for exactly one hour at 350. Haven't checked them temp wise for doneness but there have been no issues. Spatchocked chicken is the only chicken my wife and kids will eat any more.[p]John

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Art,
    When we first started doing spatchcocked chicken, we used to flip it half way. It was really hard to do since the chicken would usually fall apart. Since then we have found there really is no need to flip. It comes out just as good.[p]I do like to let mine air dry uncovered in the fridge for a couple of hours if I have time. It helps the skin crisp up a little better. If I don't have time, I just throw it on. It still turns out just fine.[p]~nikki

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    Art,[p]I also put on my spatchcock chicken for exactly 60 minutes (usually a 4lb'r) at 350. I have been over by 5 minutes or so and it doesn't seem to make much diference but I also like to flip it for just the last 5 minutes. I don't touch it until I go for the final flip. After it's been flipped for 5 minutes I remove it and set it on a rack for about 10 minutes before I serve it. Perfecto![p]If you are concerned with the doneness, I highly recommend the Thermapen to check it in an instant at the end!
    [ul][li]Thermapens![/ul]
  • Art, I started turning mine (for about five minutes) a year ago and it now appears to be the preference.[p]Good luck!

• Thanks everyone. This was some of the best chicken I have ever had! I didn't want to mess it up so I didn't flip it and it was still unbelievable. I love this forum.