Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Report!

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, Gfw...THANKS! Your website was a big help, and the recipe is great. Did 2.5 pounds of River City sirloin tip jerky yesterday. My temps got up to 200 after pulling the mound apart, and stayed at 200. Worked out fine in that after 8 hours they were ready to pull off (just in time to start my chicken).[p]Great flavor...maybe a bit too much flavor from the cherry smoke. I will do another batch later this week and try no extra wood to compare.[p]One suggestion for an option for the recipe is to add roasted crushed sesame seeds to the mix. Also maybe some honey to make it a bit sweeter.[p]Anyway, it was a load of fun. Give it a try![p]NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]You inspired me the other day NB, I had a batch of jerkey meat in the freezer, already cut, that I thawed. I have it in the marinade as we speak, will probably cook it tomorrow night or Saturday sometime. Congrats on the success, it is a pretty tasty treat. I'm trying some of that storebought seasoning from High Mountain? Looked good at Wal Mart the other day and it was on sale for 2 bucks or so. The package says that it will season 25 pounds of meat. It smelled awesome last night when I put it on the meat, we'll see how it tastes. Did your jerkey turn a nice black color or does it still have a redness like the beef?[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    sprinter,
    Pretty dark. We'll can it very dark brown with a very slight reddish tinge. Let me know how the seasoning works. Does it have msg??
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Ya' know, I'm not sure if it has msg or not, never really checked. I'd not be one bit surprised if it does.[p]I like my jerkey good and dark, nice and tough. I did it once and only smoked it for a couple of hours, it was kind of like eating semi cooked beef. Not too good.[p]I'll check on the msg thing and let you know how it comes out when I cook it.[p]Troy
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    sprinter,
    Troy[p]I use the stuff exclusively. I have had great success with it. I like my jerkey the same way. The salting process is very labor intensive. I make even worse by hanging the pieces through the grill with tooth picks. I find I can get a lot of jerkey on at one time though. I have not tried it on the EGG yet. I also have a New Brunfels smoker and can do 20LBs at a time. It dries it out quite well. I have to boys in college and I am a hit with their friends. The stuff doesn't last long.[p]MAC

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I've used the High Mountain seasoning, and I've made good jerky with it. The one thing I don't like about it is it has smoke flavoring - to me that's like using liquid smoke.

• sprinter
    MAC,[p]Thanks for the input. I'm not dedicated enough to hand the meat through the grill with toothpicks, a big mound on the grill usually does it for me. Glad to hear that you like it, looking forward to cooking it this weekend.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    BluesnBBQ,[p]This is the second vote of confidence on the High Mountain stuff. Not too worried about the liquid smoke though I do agree with you that its not really necessary. I've yet to cook something that I've said "man, this has too much smoke on it". I love things loaded down with smoke, especially cherry wood smoke. Thanks for the input.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, thanks for the follow-up - I have also moved your post to my recipe page so I can retain your suggestions for next time and for the reference of others. Part of the fun of BBQ is changing the recipe util its just right!