Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dear, I mean deer meat

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I need a good recipe for cooking deer meat. [p]Jerry

Comments

• bigmikej
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Which cut (or cuts) do you have?

• Jwirlwind,
    I have access to whole deer and I asume that the loan and hams would be the best to do. How about the hams since most don't want to part with the loan.[p]Jerry

• VOLinVA
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Aside from the loin and roasts, have most of the deer made into hambuger with the remainder, mixed with pork, and made into sausage.

• pointer
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Marinate Steaks in 1 can diet 7-up, and a bottle of creamy Italian salad dressing. (with garlic)! let marinate in fridge for 1-2 hours then cook at moderate temps (around 350').[p]Do not sear and do not overcook. You want the meat to be no more than medium rare.[p]I have not eaten any venison since meeting Dizzy Pig Rubs, but I will definitely add some Raging River on the next batch I cook with this recipe![p]Enjoy![p]
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Its breast meat.

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    venison_roast.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,
    In a measuring cup, place 1 cup of hot water, 1 heaping tablespoon of kosher salt and 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar. Stir until dissolved completely. Place 3 to 4 lb.roast in a large zip lock bag and pour in mixture. Push air out of bag and seal it. Let the meat cure in this solution for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator.[p]After meat has cured, rinse with cold water and pat dry. Rub meat with olive oil and cover meat thoroughly with your favorite dry rub. I use Homemade Chipotle Rub. Place in the Egg using indirect heat. Cook at 225-250 until meat reaches 165°F. Use Mesquite and Hickory smoke wood every 30 minutes for first 2 hours. As a finishing touch, Warm some of your favorite spicy BBQ sauce and use like gravy. [p]

• BBQ BobTrudnak,
    Up to 165°? That seems kind of high to me. I normally don't bring my venison up that high unless I have some sausage stuffed in it. Do you find that by bringing it up to that high of a temp that it dries out?[p]Thanks
    Matt.

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    bigmikej,
    When brining, you can bring the temp up higher and still maintain moisture. Some people do not like medium rare or rare meats, especially wild game. If I was not brining, I would take the roast to about 135°F to 140°F. The doneness is personal choice.