Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ignoring Trolls

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a relative newcomer with regards to actively participating on this forum. Given that stature, my comments may be inappropriate. I apologize in advance should anyone take them in that way.

Over the past several months I've noticed an increased frequency of posts that degenerate into personal attacks. Those that are familiar with internet forums know this behaviour most always stems from participation by "Trolls".

What some might not realize is how to best eliminate these disruptive folks. The guideline below in italics is taken from the blog at Gibson Research Corp, I feel it is worth considering. For a humorous look at types of Trolls have a look here:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Please DO NOT FEED the trolls:
Trolls post annoying and abusive messages in order to incite anger and in an attempt to force reactions. Difficult as it can be at times, PLEASE AVOID REPLYING TO ALL SUCH POSTS and thus feeding the trolls. Since trolls exist only for the attention they can generate, they will leave only — and always — when they are simply ignored.

Kind regards,
dbCooper
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    That approach has been tried for months on end in this case..to no avail...if it were really only that simple..
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I'd probably have more luck jumping out of a hijacked airliner with ransom money than getting rid of our current troll.

In other words, it would be impossible.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Unknown
    Options
    I realize by ‘definition’ I am a troll, however, I take umbrage at the suggestion that I only exist ‘for the attention I can generate’. I exist for a variety of other reasons, including to compliment, comment on, or point out the ineptitude of the statements of others. It’s good, and bad, and everything in between, and while it may be annoying to some, it is not annoying to all, to each his own & all that implies. The blog at the Gibson Research Corp is certainly nonsense, thus not worth considering. It violates every facet of human nature. People are inherently confrontational, they (we) cannot help them(our)selves. People will always be separated into two camps, those who are amused by trolls, & those who pop a vein. Join those in the latter group & you’ll perhaps live longer, & if not longer, at least happier. Now, where did you put that damn money
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mr Massengill,
    I believe in your last point you meant "former" not "latter", is that correct?

excellent handle, BTW.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have to ask then, hypothetically of course, since you wish for "trolls" to be ignored.

If you came on this forum and needed advice with a cook, and as such had a considerable sum of money and time tied up in raw products and preparation, which would you prefer:

(a) an answer from a troll that most people with adequate experience know to be wrong, yet all ignore because the poster is using an anonymous handle or one associated with a "troll; or

(b) those with knowledge to the contrary to speak up and confront the "troll" spreading wrong information, thereby saving your cook, money, dinner, and/or reputation. This would require, in direct conflict to your advice, feeding the trolls.
  • Unknown
    Options
    indeed, you are of course correct, slip of the typing finger there
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    My answer to this would be (c) No one is completely worthless, you can always serve as a bad example.

By ignoring the troll I think he means just that, ignoring the troll post. Don't respond directly to the troll. When you do that the troll has no one to respond to. That doesn't mean other replies should be ignored.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Good advice IMHO.

Used to look at some of these flare ups but for quite a long time once I see a post heading in the wrong direction, I move on. I don't care who weighs in and am not interested in anyone's opinion within that post - troll or no troll. It's a waste of my time.

In fact, didn't look at any of the replies to db's post.

Stop feeding them is good advice.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    As regards the most recent blow-up, though, I think it needs to be pointed out that the supposely unknowing "troll" offered an opinion to the questioner that was, while being wrong in a minor detail, was entirely correct in its larger point: That something was going wrong with the Egg's temperature.

For this minor infraction, the "troll" was ruthlessly flamed and belittled and the original questioner followed the advice of the 7,000+ post flamer (one who styles himself as a dispenser of expert knowledge here) and wound up with a brisket as dry as a popcorn fart. So who's really the troll and who's really the helpful member, I ask you?

As I've said elsewhere, we'd do much better to look objectively at what individuals are actually doing and saying here, rather than to assume some are, by definition, contributing members and who are not.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Massengil, why don't you just register? You have made a couple dozen or so posts now.

Is it that you are already registered and known under a different name, and lack the fortitude to contradict someone unless anonymous?
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    quote,"For this minor infraction, the "troll" was ruthlessly flamed and belittled and the original questioner followed the advice of the 7,000+ post flamer (one who styles himself as a dispenser of expert knowledge here) and wound up with a brisket as dry as a popcorn fart. So who's really the troll and who's really the helpful member, I ask you? "

If you look back, someone mentioned the troll was wrong again. Then the troll flamed and belittled the "others" like he was a victim. The guy has been a distraction from the day he showed up here. He should take a hike and get lost in Utah.

Oops, did I just say that? :blink:
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    If you look back, someone mentioned the troll was wrong again. Then the troll flamed and belittled the "others" like he was a victim. The guy has been a distraction from the day he showed up here. He should take a hike and get lost in Utah.

Don't get me wrong, I've locked horns with Tweev, too. And yes, I've seen some bad advice come from him at times, too. But there's very little doubt that he was spot-on in that thread, and got flamed nonetheless. So when he dons the mantle of victim - at least there - he's got a point, no? And as a result, DC Egg was also a victim of bad advice.

Making this forum about personalities and not Egging will not advance our meme.
  • Fidel
    Options
    You've lost your damn mind if you think Tweev was correct in that thread. The vast majority of that post was him arguing that temperature in a brisket cannot drop during the plateau.

The crap you keep crediting him with being correct happened much later. Get your facts straight.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Oh, I know he was wrong about the "drop question." But even those that provided documentation on drops being common didn't contend that an 11-degree drop was normal. Tweev said something else was going on, and I don't think that anyone here seriously thinks that statement was in the slightest bit wrong. What everyone did do was jump all over that misstatement (which he stupidly defended), while ignoring the fact that the central thrust was correct. And no one, until you did later on, caught that. Kudos.
  • Fidel
    Options
    In my very first reply to DCegg yesterday I told him that the drop he observed was abnormal. I also told him more than once to check his thermometer and that he was cooking at a lower than normal pit temp.

Here's my suspicion. Tweev has never cooked a brisket on the egg. He based all of his responses on what he has read here and elsewhere and got so stymied by the illogical possibility of a temperature drop that he focused on that as his central argument. Don't give him any more credit that he's due. He was wrong in every statement he made yesterday. His focus was not on an incorrect thermometer or anything else, and by trying to extrapolate that meaning into his statements is quite a leap in my opinion.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ron,

What makes you think he's not already a registered member? :whistle:
  • Unknown
    Options
    I assume you're joking, but in the event you are not, may I suggest you go back & more closely read my posts as I believe you would then grasp the folly of your question
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    God, How I love this forum!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Little light come on Little Steven? :ermm:

You should smell the steaks resting next to me B)