Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib Experiment...finished!

Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I should'a got hazard pay for cooking these today!

Had a serious storm blow in off the Gulf! Sideways rain..."Big time" Thunder and to the ground lightening,locally high winds...really freaky!!

Between getting soaked playing "Vent Jockey" as the wind and rain played havoc with my steady temps..I finally finished them at about 4.5 hours.

Tried kind of a novel set up using Tom's new Oval Pizza stone, ceramic (feet) spacers and a turkey Pan...(al'a Old School CWM)!
In spite of everything weather related, it seemed to work well! Oval Stone...sweeet!!

e6ed3366.jpg

Here's a few shots prior to yanking them.

P7170015.jpg

P7170021.jpg

They probably could'a gone another 30-45 minutes as they still were a bit fatty in places, though I hear it sort of comes with the territory!
I was afraid of drying them out, but turns out....that wasn't a problem at all!

P7170016.jpg

P7170022.jpg

Thanks WooDoggies...I really appreciate your tutoring!

Ann gives the "Dino Bones" a "thumbs up", so...It
looks like I have a place to stay for at least tonight...lol!!

Evans
I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Cooking temp? Special rub? Egad, man! Details, please...those look wicked good. ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Did "Sparky" come and take the pics for you? That is some close-up action. ;)

Ribs look great, good job.
  • Chubby
    Didn't think anybody was still up...lol!!

Did my best to stay between 250-275. Rub...Dizzy Pig...Redeye with additional Smoked Paprika and Tubrinado Sugar.

It's no pictured buy I sauced the smaller rack with Daddy Sams...Good!!

Spritzed wigh "Jack" about every hour...(rain allowing)!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Im a beef rib NeeewwB!!

Fun doing something you've never tried.

Noticed the temp was dropping mid cook...and then would just stall!!

Any thoughts...lmao!!

Thanks!
  • hornhonk
    Got it, thanks! You are a true gent...no matter what your "friends" say :woohoo: Jeez, I hope you aren't asking ME for tips...I'm like Sgt. Schultz :blush:
  • Looks good man. I love beef ribs.

-John
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Fine lookin bones there. If ya need a place to stay beyond tonite, lemme know and well work it out, bones and all.You have done yourself proud. :)
  • Chubby
    What would a Man be without his "Friends"? :unsure:

I pulled these after about 4.5 hours...(but if you look at thet last pic)they were still not quite there I'm thinking!
    Tender and juicy...yes,but that small vein of fat right at the center of the bone,I'm guessing it woulda been gone if I let'em go just a bit longer?

What do you think?
  • Chubby
    Shankin in my soggy boots all day... I was,lol!

Thank you!
  • Chubby
    Thanks John!!

I always forget to tell you...I love your "Signature" line!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    what oval stone????

did i miss something? :S

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Thanks. Amazing what you can come up with after a beer or three. :silly:

-John
  • Chubby
    the ceramic feet are sitting on it!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Chubby...Those look great! Did a couple racks like those on the 4th as an experiment. We were very pleased with the results. Looks like you did that cow proud!! B) Nice job. :)
  • Chubby
    Thank you Michelle.

You know...since the rest'a the boys were "otherwise entertained" here today I found I had some free time...lol!!

I trust you kept yourself busy as well!

Ps...if you see this take a look at my last post to HornHonk (above) and lemm'e know what your thinkin might be?

Evans
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    so you have a oval stone?? maybe that is what i am missing.....

why????

i mean there are thousands of ways to cook on a egg. i do not have a "oval" stone...

where did you get it?

is it better than the round stone i have from BGE?

what makes it better?

and do you have a better picture of it?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• hornhonk
    I've never cooked beef ribs before, and have no idea if more time would help you or not. Remember...

sgtschultz.jpg

:woohoo: :laugh: :ermm:
  • Little Chef
    Chubby....Re last post....Beef ribs have been a tough one to master...no punn intended. We have tried them several times, and many times they just needed a ski boot attached to the bone. :laugh: This was the first time I saw them packaged like you picked up...trimmed up like racks of St Louis. They were cheap, so I picked up a couple racks. We were pleased, but I marinated them in a very acidic marinade for 24 hours.
    Onto your question....There seems to be a SUPER fine thread between good (dry method) low n slow beef ribs, and aweful low n slow beef ribs. A bit too long, and you are screwed. A bit too short, and you are screwed. I don't think you would have got much better results if you had let them go much longer. They really did look good!
    I have resolved myself to the more Asian style...which is hot an fast, and med rare. Sounds nuts...and yeah, it is certainly not falling off the bone by ANY means...but it truly allows the rich beef flavor to come through. IMO, a lot of that gets lost in a low n slow. The more we try them, I think beef ribs were meant for braising, or hot n fast. JMHO. Remember...You asked!! :laugh: :whistle:
  • Little Chef
    TOO funny!!!!! :laugh:
  • big hound
    big hound Posts: 103
    They look great.
    I do em often. Usually on for 6 or 7 hours at 250-275 indirect. I'm lucky the Ralphs market near me actually carries thick cut choice beef ribs. Lot's of meat on the tops. Soooo good, a bit fatty and rich, but good eatin'.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Man Chub those look spot on!!A nice mess of them at 5:00am Sunday morning would hit the spot! Would love to have some of that rain hear. Got over 2 inches a mile away and not a drop on the farm. Less than 2 1/2 inches since first of May! :pinch:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Evans your next beef try should be "short ribs" as it looks like you have the long one's down ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dats Bootiful.

Beef ribs have been up and down for me - good results and not so good results. Difficult to figure out. Maybe it's the difference between a nice cow and a not so nice cow. :blink:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    those look terrific Chubby, love that smoke ring
  • Chubby
    John and I were talking a while back when I picked these up...and weeee tooo love braised Beefers, so I had to make myself try these and not go for the safe!

What the heck...i'm trying to learn something!

Thanks for your reply!

Evans
  • Chubby
    Love it!!!!

That right there is funny!!

So if you're right about at "nothing"...that's e just in front of :P you!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Chubby, ain't it good to be back?

I knew that "neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night" would keep you from your appointed task of making those succulent beef ribs! Well done, my friend. :)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Looks like they turned out rather nicely...
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Way to weather the storm Chubbster!! Smoke ring looks fabulous!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I think the rain stayed on your side of town, at least the heavy stuff. Ribs look great, I can't seem to find them with much meat on the bone. They always seem to look well trimmed.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX