Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon 'Juice'

MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am smoking salmon ala sprinter and alt's recipe... I dried it very well under a fan prior to smoking at 120-14- degrees and after about 1 hour a sort of buttery juice is seaping out of the salmon. What causes this and is there any down-side other than apperance?
MW

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MW,[p]Eventually that will stop seeping out of the salmon and will turn a nice light golden color on the meat. Don't worry about it at all. It will actually add to the appearance as the fish cooks. I let the temp rise SLOWLY over the course of the cook, starting where you are at right now of 140 or so. Full steam ahead captain, you're in line for some good eats in a couple of hours.[p]Troy
  • MW
    sprinter,
    Thanks... I appreciate the tips...
    MW

• sprinter
    MW,[p]My fee for this advice is simply a pound of this smoked salmon, packed immediately after removing it from the grill, put on the next plane out, delivered to me at my office still tender and warm. Small price to pay I think. hehehe[p]Good luck, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.[p]Troy
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    sprinter,[p]That sounds interesting. That is the technique? Please include a link so I can give it a go this weekend!
  • sprinter
    Smokey,[p]No link to point you to. Take a look at the salmon posts here in the forum over the past week or so and you'll get a pretty good grasp of how it was done. email or post with other questions.[p]Troy
  • MW
    Smokey, the recipe for the smoked salmon is coutesy i f 'sprinter' - who posted it in response to my "To Brine or Not" question in the forum yesterday. He has been helping me along today with the attentiveness if a mid-wife.
    The fish is at 160 degrees, the salmon juice is still oozing and dripping everywhere. ( I know - no peaking)... smells great!![p]MW

• MW
    Smokey, the recipe for the smoked salmon is coutesy i f 'sprinter' - who posted it in response to my "To Brine or Not" question in the forum yesterday. He has been helping me along today with the attentiveness if a mid-wife.
    The smoke is at 160 degrees, the salmon juice is still oozing and dripping everywhere. ( I know - no peaking)... smells great!![p]MW

• sprinter
    MW,[p]Dont lift the lid. When you feel that urge coming on, just breathe. Out with the bad air, in with the good air. remember, breathe, in, out, in, out 1....2......3.....4........5.....hehehehe[p]You're too kind. It will continue to seep for the better part if not all of the cook. When I used to smoke salmon on a water smoker I used to see this stop, when I started smoking it on the egg it keeps it up for the whole smoke session. The egg just retains moisture that much better and therefore the fish will continue to "sweat" a bit. Smaller pieces I've smoked will stop, the larger ones will not. Good luck, keep 'er steady captain.[p]Troy
  • MW
    sprinter,
    So....... should I go for five hours? I am coming up to the fourth hour and the dome temp is 200+. Peeked down through the top and the pices are covered in the white salmon juice. Leave it be?
    MW

• sprinter
    MW,[p]Open the lid and take a look at this point. You don't want the edges to get too over done. Take a peek, you should be close if not done by now. How big were the fillets? How thick? Me Thinks you may be ready.[p]Troy
  • MW
    sprinter,
    Looks wonderfull, the white stuff has darkened a little but looks like I melted butter all over it...
    MMM...

• sprinter
    MW,[p]Happy Eating[p]Troy
  • MW
    sprinter, Now the REALLY tuff bit.. I have to take it on a canoes trip tomorrow...just better try a little..[p]Thank you for your support and help.
    MW

• MW,
    good post. The oils are prbably inherient for this fish-it's what makes this fish so forgeving to cook.[p]I think the Egg's ceramic charistics and moisture retention add to the formation of curdeling and riseing oils to the surface of the meat. Maybe a process of wipeing the salmon down after you rinse the salt sugar with a cloth of rum or scotch etc. I read that is you rinse down with a light coat of olive oil and then after an hour or so, wipe down again with damp cloth of rum. Doing this a few times helps more.Then use a very slow temp. rise from almost room temp to not more than 125 for 24 hours will produce less "Salmon Juice" effect. But that is the trick to apply light smoke while keeping temps down so low.[p]good luck
    alternity