Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP - slight problem

elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I was firing up the egg I had a slight malfunction with the lower vent - as I was adjusting the screen, the outer piece slid back and slipped between a crack in the deck and into a place that I'll never enter. I'm ready to cook dinner (spatchcock chicken). I've fashioned an aluminum foil replacement for the moment - do you think it will work??? Can I order a replacement from mothership - my local dealer will not have it - they never have anything. :S
IMG_3308.jpg

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    yep...you can make that work temporarily!

Maybe a neighbor kid would get it for you for 20 bucks...and some of what your cookin??
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    I would answer yes to all questions... I might bouble the thickness on the foil.. Got some Hoo Do's under the deck huh ?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I agree, that should get you by. I see a male hand, have him get it. :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    elzbth,

Duct tape..the handyman's friend. Red Green. You can control the temp with the top vents only.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• kolbdriver
    Molly... The Male didn't put it there... geeese

• cookn biker
    :laugh: :laugh:
    Doesn't matter, get it. Gosh!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • kolbdriver
    Just picking, Good to hear from you ..
  • cookn biker
    You too my friend!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Another alternative to buying the whole unit and having to gut the egg to get to the nuts on the back of those 4 bolts you could buy a "Lucy" which is just the door itself anyway. That would be cheaper and a lot less hassle!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • elzbth
    Where can I get "Lucy"? Would like to take care of this quickly...
  • RRP
    The original designer doesn't make them anymore but I'm pretty sure thirdeye does. Maybe someone can confirm that and get you in touch.
    IMG_0971.jpg
  • elzbth
    My better half offered to take the plunge, but it's so darned hot here (upper 90's) and I just can ask him to do that...he offered. He hatched a plan to retrieve it with a magnetized tool - won't work. Good grief. At any rate, the chicken is on and all is good again.
  • RRP
    gum on a stick maybe?
  • elzbth
    Thanks! Chicken is on and the egg is stable at 350. Life is good.
  • elzbth
    Hoo Doos? Who knows? I don't do spiders, and try not to sweat either :kiss:
  • cookn biker
    Keep us posted!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • how'd it work?

for what it's worth, you can control the egg with the daisy all by itself if need be.
  • why would he have to take the whole assembly off? if the door slid out then a new one can slide in, just as a "lucy" would, no? ;)
  • RRP
    True, Jeff, but it appears to me there was no screen on that egg, so when you buy a new one it consists of 3 pieces: the frame, the screen and the solid door. Iffin I were doing it rather than take the door only and scrap or set aside the frame and screen I would personally change out the whole thing...but I guess that's me. That's why I thought of the Lucy.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Reminds me of the guy that drilled a new hole on the back of his dome to reposition the thermometer before someone asked "why didn't you just loosen the band and rotate the dome?" :huh: :laugh:
  • elzbth
    Actually, there is a screen - it is still intact. That said, would it then make more sense to replace just the outermost solid piece. I swear, it happened so fast I still don't know exactly what happened. And the fact that it slipped so perfectly between the cracks in the decking. I think in the morning, when I have a clearer mind I'm going to try to rig up something gummy (as suggested in another post) and gig it - then fish it as close to the edge of the porch as possible. I get the creeps even thinking about crawling under there - I hate spiders, and creepie crawlies (even if they are only in my mind). Whatcha think? :whistle:
  • elzbth
    Well I didn't try duct tape, but I'm sure it would have worked. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • elzbth
    The foil did the trick. I'm going to try something gummy on a stick in the morning (thanks RRP) and hopefully get it close enough to the edge of the porch that I can reach it with my hands. Crawling in dirt with crawlies all over me is not an option. Thanks!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Aluminum foil? Wow. MacGuyver walks among us. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• safetyman
    safetyman Posts: 80
    I would call the "mothership' and I am sure they will send you a replacement door. I have had excellent dealings with them.