Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken breasts

Options
scuba322
scuba322 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to try some bone in and skin on chicken breasts. I have read 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Do I use the plate setter or not or different temp and time?

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    yes use plate setter i think the chicken drippings on the coals make bad smell I use setter and drip pan if u want to use the drippings put some little balls of foil to raise drip pan off setter so they wont burn cook to interior temp of 170 or juices run clear
  • scuba322
    Options
    Thanks much... Here we go.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Some cook chicken indirect (i,e, platesetter), but I have always cooked raised (gasket level) direct. I recently spatchcocked a whole 7 lb chicken at 375-400° and THAT took an hour and a half. I don't think breasts would take that long, but you need to cook to temp, not time anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Scuba....Cook to temp, not time. Chicken must reach internal temp of 165* due to salmonella. You can pull a few degrees less, and allow the carryover cooking to bring it to 165*. Pull about 161...rest under foil. As a lesson, monitor the temp and see how much higher it goes. Once it hits 165* though, you are good to go!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Either way will work. If you go direct [like Carolina and most others, including myself, do with spatchcock] you do need to use a raised grid.
    Whatever you do tis time I would suggest you go the other way next time and compare.
    Chicken is hard to mess up on the egg, just remeber to cook to temp, 160 breasts, 180 thighs, or your grannies old tests, loose bones, clear juices, and you will be fine.
    Raised grid, direct or indirect, does two wonderful things for chicken. 1. It keeps the flesh away from the fire. 2. It puts the skin {I never flip] up in the dome where it can get the convection oven effect and get really nice and crisp.
    Hope this helps a little, enjoy! :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Capt. Frank.....You allow carryover cooking to bring those breasts to 165*, right? :whistle:
  • scuba322
    Options
    Wow.. Thank you all for your response. We should be good. I will check temp. I have to get used to cooking by temp instead of relying on time. Thanks everyone