Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg in a Stainless Steel table

Options
JerseyCityEgg
JerseyCityEgg Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hi

I am definitely a newbie - haven't bought my Egg yet.

I am building my house and want to drop my egg into a stainless steel counter top that we will have custom built.

The challenge that we have is that water cannot go down underneath the table because we have a pump for our koi pond there.

So my question is, can we use a fire caulk to seal around the Egg? Are there any issues with doing this? How hot does the outside get?

If we are able to do this is will look great - will post photos.

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    The outside of the egg can get quite hot. As for caulking, I would avoid it. I would leave at least a 1/2" gap around the edge of the egg with respect to the SS counter top. You may want to visit the naked Wiz's web site and look at some Egg tables for more info.

www.nakedwhiz.com

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Jimmys Egg
    Jimmys Egg Posts: 17
    Options
    I used an edge strip to trim out the edge of my stainless counter and left the ½” air gap as well for insulation. This will give your installation a much more professional look and keep out all but a driving rain. The hole in the counter is smaller than the top of the egg, so the widest part of the egg acts like the eve on your roof to keep water out. The raised trim will keep the water that pools on the counter out. You can get this trim at an automotive trim supply house. I would use the type with metal internal teeth to bite the stainless and stay in place.
    IMG00053-20100711-1240.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    That looks good! Very clean installation and I am sure it works just fine. Nice job :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    moving the pump may be more viable alternative.
  • Dawgs Friend
    Options
    Do you remember the hole size for your table? I'm doing the same but as for allowing for the hinge the egg must set out of the opening 7 inch .so as the egg tappers down from that point the standard 21 inch rule for a large is to much air gap. Please advise i'm open for suggestions before i cut.