Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fitting ribs in bge large

CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My big babyback rib cook is tomorrow
but I don't have a rack
can I stack will it cook properly?
Can I cut the ribs shorter?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Hit a homegoods store and get a pan with a vRack. Put it V pointing up and your good to go. This is not the time of year to get such things cheap like Thanksgiving but they should be around.

As far as stacking ribs on one another I don't think it is the way to go myself.
  • dhuffjr
    Here is a picture of what I'm talking about in case your not sure.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V72VN39DL._AA400_.jpg
  • CaCook
    Hi I have a turkey roaster and it comes with a rack
    but I have to see if it's the same rack or if it'll fit the ribs
    I was going to lowes and check the BBQ section
  • dhuffjr
    I'm sure it is. I have one I got from BGE a zillion years ago. Porcelain coated like the grid. I'd stay away from "nonstick" type materials....the porcelain coating will be fine or just bare metal. A Lowe's rib rack will do you too. These V-racks are just multi purpose and that is how I did ribs for a long time.

How many slabs you doing? The hands down best way is three slabs laid bone side down on the grid indirect with zero turning.....to foil or not to foil then becomes your question.
  • CaCook
    OK I have checked my thanksgiving gears but it appears too big and got a coating I don't know what and I am afraid the heat on the sides of the plate setting.

I am going to pick this up tomorrow what you do think?
    I need to use it upside down from the picture?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297969-47981-42040_0_?productId=3056009

Do you have to put foil to extend the plate setter because wouldn't the sides at the end dry out.

I am doing 3 slabs of costso (swift) babyback.

Thanks
  • Once you pick up that stand, it will still be easier if you cut the racks of ribs in half, imo. I don't like how they curl over if I don't cut them. How many racks are you cooking? I have done six full racks, all cut in half, at one time with the same type stand you are looking to buy.

2010-02-07120548.jpg
  • CaCook
    I am doing 3 racks, so if I cut them right in half wouldn't affect the taste or tenderness of the final product right

Also, how many chunks of hickory should I mix in?

Thanks!!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    CaCook, I use two or three chunks of wood for flavor. I have used the rib rack until someone suggested I cook them flat on the grid bone side down. Then the time come when I wanted to cook larger quantities of food on my large so I learned about the Ceramic Grill Store. Now I have a Spider and 14 inch baking stone and a drip pan. I also have the Adjustable Rig with the oval grids and the extra piece that goes on top. Now among many other setups I can smoke six slabs of ribs with a little rotating every hour. Tim

Look this post over.

B-day Baby Backs Three Ways

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=925978&catid=1
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Here I have done three slabs laying flat on one grid. Tim ;)

000_1583.jpg

I have two grids here obove the plate setter

000_1578.jpg
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I picked up a rack from home depot or lowes and it worked fine. The only issue is that the rack is taller and narrower than a v-rack. It holds the ribs more vertically, but holds them a little tightly. Some of the meat stuck to the rack. No biggie.

I cut the racks in half and put the halves in the 6 slots. I don't think that affects the flavor at all.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    My ole lady just bought me the Egg 3 tier rack....I'm dying to see how many slabs I can cram on that sucker!!! B);):)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    I cook mine flat on the grid and a raised grid
    DSC_0007-14-1.jpg

Ross
  • CaCook
    So any trouble when the ribs are exposed outside of the plate setter? Or is there foil beneath the exposed meat?
  • dhuffjr
    I put two slightly rectangular pieces of foil on the platesetter to act as a 'drip pan' of sorts. That provides and additional heat shield of sorts in those open areas. I've found the very end rib bones tend to be too done sometimes but that is it.
  • dhuffjr
    For three slabs I'd skip the rack. You'll get the best results laying them flat. I see on this cook I didn't put any foil on the platesetter. I like to because it keeps the black crud off of it.

ribsinthesnow.jpg

ribs.jpg
  • dhuffjr
    Cutting them will just leave the smaller won't affect taste or tenderness. Go light on hickory. It can be an overpowering smoke unless you know that a heavy hickory flavor is what your looking for.

I like fruit woods.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I have the old style 3 tier and did 6 slabs of BBR, 3 each on the lower and middle racks layed flat. One of the bottom slabs got "extra crispy"! Keep a close eye on the lower slabs.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • CaCook
    Hey guys I bought the rib rack from Lowes
    it's stainless actually really nice.
    I have 3 in the middle now
    I don't know how you guys lay 3 of them flat because the ribs I got would hit the rim except the middle one..
  • CaCook
    So it like I only can do 3 hours 40 minutes before I have to get out of here!! from there 2 hours foiled in a cooler..

Do you think the meat will be cooked properly? A little chewy is OK just want to make sure it's not raw.
    Dome temp 250.
  • dhuffjr
    I think you'll be fine. Check the temp between bones if your worried. Foiling them and putting in a cooler with towels on top will have them continue to cook too.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    I just use a lg drip pan wkth. Apple juice on top the platesetter

Ross