Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chunks catching fire

Options
A-Baum
A-Baum Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a problem where my wood chunks always seem to catch fire eventually and kick out some pretty nasty smelling stuff. I can't seem to avoid it. I soak them and that just delays the flame up. Seems like as soon as the wood dries out it just fires up.

Are my vents/daisywheel open too far? The temp is around 300 when I open it up and there are flames licking whatever it is I am trying to smoke.

Do you guys ONLY use chips/chunks with indirect cooking using the plate setter? Is that what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    A-Baum wrote:
    I have a problem where my wood chunks always seem to catch fire eventually and kick out some pretty nasty smelling stuff. I can't seem to avoid it. I soak them and that just delays the flame up. Seems like as soon as the wood dries out it just fires up.

Are my vents/daisywheel open too far? The temp is around 300 when I open it up and there are flames licking whatever it is I am trying to smoke.

Do you guys ONLY use chips/chunks with indirect cooking using the plate setter? Is that what I am doing wrong?

I love using FIST size chunks. No chips here, unless it's for steaks, burgers or sausage (quick items).

If they're catching fire, that's because there's too much oxygen. My chunks usually catch fire once I open the grill but are extinguished once I close it. I know this because there is a 10 second delay or so before the chunk catches fire once I open the lid.

Soaking doesn't do anything to wood, except clean it, which I do to chips because they're often "dusty".
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Thats a new one, for me anyway. Most folks dont soak wood for BGE smoking. Do they combust when you open the dome or prior to that?
  • A-Baum
    Options
    I am not exactly sure when the actually combust, so that is a good question. Tonight I was cooking up some chicken wings and threw a few soaked hickory chunks on it. I wanted to cook them at 300-315 and after some period, I could smell the telltale harsh burning chunk. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Maybe I should have tried the plate setter.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I find that if the chips or chunks are on top of the hot coals and the dome is open, sometimes they catch fire due to the eggstra oxygen. Usually I mix the chips/chunks with the charcoals and there is a slow smoke over time. I hardly ever soak in liquid.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    What kinda wood you smoking with?

Also not too sure how you can be at 300 indirect and have flames licking your smokables. :huh: it takes a pretty hot fire to turn the corner of a platesetter.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I think you will find that lump charcoal alone will provide plenty of "flava" for chicken cooks, without adding wood chips/chunks. Usually if using an indirect barrier and smoking 225-300 you wont have flaming wood.

*The above message is merely the opinion of a drunk man.
  • A-Baum
    Options
    I was not doing indirect for the wings, perhaps I should have. I was reheating frozen wings.

I am using hickory chunks today and this weekend, but ran into the same issue with cherry chunks.

I will try putting the wood under the coals more, and do indirect. I have a 9lb butt and 10lb spareribs to get done this weekend so I need to sharpen my game up.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    If your temp is around 250dome, with an indirect barrier, and you leave the dome open only a short period at a time, you should have no flamage.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I would try and stick with fruitwoods for a sweeter smoke. Cherry can be bold, but great in moderation. I'll add it late in a poultry cook to add color and a bit of flavor.

Also, regarding the reheating of the frozen wings. Assuming they have already been cooked, you might want to have thawed them and heated a little quicker without too much added flavor. Thawing pre-cooked and seasoned wings with a buncha Hickory smoke could be like a swift kick in the nads. no offense ;)

stick with raw and keep after it.

Regarding the butts and ribs, ask those questions sooner than later. Nothing worse than the last second "what do I do?" post. :P but I've done it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Very simple, never soak chunks. Keep dome closed and the will never flare up.
  • Big Knife
    Big Knife Posts: 35
    Options
    You could place the chips in a foil packet with a couple holes pierced in the top.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Next time that happens close both vents for about ten seconds - this will bring the lump back into O2 limited conditions and smoke will magically appear again. It's pretty neat actually.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    the acrid smoke is most likely the chicken fat and moisture dripping on the coals