Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butts

bigOl'daddy
bigOl'daddy Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just wanted to know if i cook @225 for 13,14 hrs uncovered would they dry out? i usually smoke 4hrs and cover with aluminum foil to retain moisture

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    What size are they, make sure not to cook to time! Some of mine have been on for 17hrs and they are never covered and they turn out great, but i suppose if i was cooking a small one for that long it would, so make sure you cook to temp and not time and you will be fine B)
  • i have 2 9lb butts and they need to be done by 5pm sat.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Cook indirect with dome temp at 250° until the internal temp of the butt is 195°. No foil needed. Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thanks, there is always the pressure of perfection when you are cooking for friends and family......now i am pumped.
  • Carolina Q
    Rule of thumb is 1.5-2hrs per pound. (9 lbs, not 18). If done early, wrap in foil, then in a couple of large towels, then place in a cooler. Should be fine for 3-4 hours, maybe longer. Then, pull and serve.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    haha. If you can't screw up in front of friends and family, who CAN you screw up in front of? :)

You'll be fine - butts are very forgiving.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    cook just like carolina said, i most always wrap in foil when i pull them off the egg and let them rest in a cooler for atleast 2 hrs i have held them in there for up to 5hrs before! the juice that you get when you let them rest is GREAT!!
  • anyone out there from cullman,al lets get it going.......
  • thanks big A , encouragement is always nice
  • when you say cooler , do you mean empty or with ice
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    NO ICE! The object is to keep the meat warm. If anything put warm water in the cooler to warm it then pour the water out and put your meat in wrapped in heavy duty foil and a couple of towels. Works great.
  • hopefully this is not a dumb question but boston butt is the best thing to use when wanting to make pulled pork right?
  • its the only thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    LOL, Butts are an easy and fun cook. cook to 195/200 internal and all will be lovely. Enjoy
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    either part of the shoulder is fine. I prefer bone in boston butt, which is the part with the blade.

I have made them with picnic, the lower part including the leg? bone. there's more fat and you have to deal with the skin, which is why I don't like it....

Though some make tasty treats out of the skin....
  • Carolina Q
    Agreed. Some folks here seem to prefer the flavor of the picnic shoulder, but I have always been a butt man. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Lots of great info on the Naked Whiz site...and fun to read as well.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

I'm a newbie, and I have already done two butt cooks and they both turned out great. Wrapping them in foil and beach towels in a cooler (no ice) works wonders to keep them warm. 3 hours later and they will still be piping hot.

I used a rub both times which I personally prefer (tasty bark).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    flattopp,

If you think about your time line and realize some butts cook fast and some slow. I know the last time I smoked a 10 pound butt at 250° dome it went for 13 hours. So if you want some cushion time consider this. Have your egg cleaned out and full of lump and ready to light between midnight and 1:am. Let your egg stabilize for about an hour with the plate setter in the egg. Between 1:am and 2:am put your butt in the egg. Now if your butt takes 13 hours to get to between 195° and 205° you are at between 2:pm and 3:pm. Double wrap your butt in the heavy duty foil and wrap in a couple towels and pop it in a cooler and that sucker should stay hot 3 or 4 plus hours.

Now don't take this written in stone. I have had butt cooks go for longer than 13 hours but if you get in a bind you can always bump you dome temp up a bit and 20 minutes in the cooler is long enough. I'm just giving you something the think about.

Good luck and post your cook and take lots of pic's. Tim ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just my $.02, but I would back that timeline up an hour or two. I've only done this twice :)...but each time I cooked two butts and it took about 17-18 hours to get to 200 while I was fighting to keep my dome temp near 250.

You can always turn down the heat if it looks like you are finishing up early.

Maybe I am just saying that because I can't stay up until 2 AM.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    FOIL=YUCK!Cook til 195 I.T.! ;)