Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to clean Interior and Exterior of my Egg Help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need help in what to clean the outside of my egg . the top has this black tar like running down from the top daisy wheel onto the egg LID about 8 inches long. Does anyone know what this is and how can I clean it off? is it soot? I tried to wipe it gently with my wifes finger nail polish remover and it did not remove it.
Also At what temp should I do a cleanning for the inside to get it white again or close to it? and how long so I dont fry the gasket :)[p]Thanks for all replies Hunkered down in Spring Hill with the windows boarded and ready for Ivan! Dave In Spring Hill

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Dave in Spring Hill Fla,[p]That black stuff is a combination of soot, oils and fat that accumulated on your daisy wheel. The steam from the cooks kinda dissolves it, it then runs down your egg and hardens on the heated glazed surface...... consider it a hard-earned patina. :~)[p]It can be removed with oven cleaner. But be careful not to get any of the cleaner on the painted black bands as it could remove remove or mar the paint.[p]As for the black interior....... well, it will always be black no matter how hot you get that puppy.
    To spare your gasket, I would make sure your dome is seated correctly and there are no gaps before you go nuclear.
    Having said that, I don't think it's necessary to go so hot to clean the inside of the egg.... I've only done it a couple times in the last 5 years and the last time I did, it turned the gasket to dust.[p]John [p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Dave in Spring Hill Fla,
    The black inside is a badge of honor for a well used Egg! Think of it as a fine, aged wine.[p]If you want to clean the grill, fire it up to 700 and throw a couple of steaks on for dinner.

• Dave in Spring Hill Fla,
    Try a damp (water) terry towel and a little elbow grease on the exterior. As for the daisy wheel, put that on the grill when you are done with your next high temp cook, keep the vents open for about 5 min. and then close them,leaving the cooker closed and the daisy wheel sitting on the grill. Works for me.
    Best,
    Gary