Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT question

Options
Rick G
Rick G Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love ABT's but I dont like chewy bacon. How do you guys get your bacon to crisp up without killing the pepper??? Has anyone tried using prosciutto?? I thought with it being so much thinner it would crisp up better. Any thoughts??

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Assuming you are going boat style, try using thin bacon on ABTs and use a half slice with little overlap going around the jalapeno. Thin cut bacon is easier to stretch and wrap and you can likely forget the toothpicks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I used the prosciutto and not half as good as bacon on ABT's.
    Like Frank said use the thin bacon (I was in the camp that thick would be so much better than thin). The thin is the way to go.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LoveHandles
    LoveHandles Posts: 156
    Options
    I usually pre-cook the bacon on the egg for a few minutes. Lay it flat on the grille with your plate setter in and it stays nice and flat when cooked. Also if its not quite the doneness you want, I finish mine off with the map gas torch while its on the peppers. Works great.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Another trick is to use the Hormel brand microwave bacon. It cooks up much faster. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Another trick is to use the Hormel brand microwave bacon. It cooks up much faster. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I do eggsactly what Frank from Houma says above and works perfectly every time. Use half slices of cheap bacon, never need toothpicks.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Are you putting any "seasonings" on them? Dizzy Dust or other BBQ type rub works well. The sugars aid in obtaining crispiness. I use whole Jalepenos with whole slice of reg cut bacon.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I don't like chewy bacon either, how are you cooking them and what temp???

I'm indirect, 350 to 400, around 50 min. to an hour and 20 min. That's doing boats, one whole strip of Hormel maple bacon. No problem with chewy bacon here but I do sauce them with Carnivore Chipotle BBQ with a bit of maple syrup added and maybe a touch of D.P. Pineapple Head. Yum,Yum.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Options
    thanks for all the replies!!! I usually do mine at 350 with a plate setter, and I do use rub, usually red eye express. I usually do half a slice of bacon but not the thin sliced. Maybe that and the indirect heat are my problems??