Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's best way to Light Charcoal?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking at buying a BGE "Small" size (13"). I see BGE has a 500w Electric Charcoal lighter. Is "electric" the way to go, or would maybe a "Propane Lighter" be the way to go, like the one I saw at BBQGuru.com? I want it Fast and Easy - not thrilled with having to drag out an electric cord, but maybe that's the best way. I'd appreciate any suggestions. [p]While we're at it, are there any Accessories that you would consider "mandatory" for the small BGE?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    cjgaddy,
    I agree the electric is a hassle and for a small the "golf club" for MAPP is a tad much and propane isn't hot enough. The easiest by far is a simple Weber cube - They run about 2 bucks for 24 of them. Just slightly bury it in the middle, hit with a lighter and walk away for 20-25 minutes. Really hassle free and give you a reason to have a toddy-for-the-body to relax - afterall that is what eggin is all about - relaxing and enjoying!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    cjgaddy,
    Mapp torches are fun to play with and since you have the igniter built in, you don't need matches or an outlet for a cord. But, heck, a propane torch will work almost as well, and so will cubes. There is no one way or best way, it all depends on what you like.[p]As for accessories, I'd buy a second grid and make a raised grid. Also, the deep dish pizza stone that BGE sells is a good ceramic barrier for indirect cooks.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • MerlinEgger
    Options
    cjgaddy,
    I'm a proponent of the Wally World green gel napalm. Squeeze on a dollup and light it. Treat it like starter fluid and don't spray on more once it's going or you may go up in a flash.....

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    cjgaddy,[p]Since we started using the MAPP gas over a year ago it's deffinately the choice for us. Its hot, gets the coals burning faster and is easy and quick to use. We just bought a new tank for ours, the other lasting a very long time.[p]Propane will sputter when turned horizontal and possibly go out on you. MAPP doesnt.[p]Hope this helps.
  • I too use the fire starter blocks. "strike-a-fire" by Diamond. I break them into about 1-1/2inch long pieces and use one for a low temp cook, and two or three for a high temp cook. I don't think I'd like the electric thing....I like playing with the fire!!
  • Ditto on the Greenheat[p]Toy Man
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    cjgaddy,[p]
    I like the "Golf Club" and use it with both MAPP and propane gas. Since it holds on to the side of the egg, I don't care if propase is a bit slower!

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]Another ditto on the green goo. I'd also suggest a couple of fire bricks (the half-size "splits") cut in half to hold up your elevated grid and to add mass on indirect cooks(along with the pie pan already suggested).[p]Papa Q

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    cjgaddy,
    The Weber cubes work fine, as do the Rutland lighter squares that your local hardware store probably sells for less than the Weber cubes. (BGE lighter squares are the same as Rutland, basically sawdust particles bound together with paraffin.) [p]You just jam a cube or square down edgewise into the pile of lump in your Egg, open the vents, light a corner of the cube or square and go do something else for 10 minutes or so. I usually bridge a couple of pieces of lump over the lit starter to catch the heat and flame. This is pretty easy, and 10 minutes doesn't seem at all "slow" to me.[p]Bob

• cjgaddy,
    Lately I've been placing the Weber starter cube in the ash-pit under one of the firebox holes. Light it; the flame starts the charcoal burning from the bottom up. I find it works quickly every time.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Gretl Collins,[p]Really? That works? I'd love to try that. Of course, my MAPP torch is so cool and fun to use, I don't know if I'll ever go back, but if my torch is ever empty, then I'll give that a shot.
  • penfresh
    Options
    cjgaddy,[p]I have the electric lighter and since the Egg sits right outside of the carriage house it isn't a hassle at all.[p]Penny