Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Mullet

Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some fresh mullet that I'd like to make taste like the classic smoked mullet. I've got time, temp and wood figured out. I'm wondering about seasoning. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Borders,[p]I have no idea how to do that, but am willing to be a taste tester! I LOVE smoked mullet dip and if you do figure it out, could you PLEASE do it for the Florida Eggfest in March?[p]MMMMMMmmmmmm,
    Tonia

• Borders
    QBabe, I'll make it a priority.[p]Scott

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Borders:[p]For traditional Florida smoked seafood "Florida Cracker Style" Ted Dahlem from St. Petersburg has some interesting thoughts regarding smoking fish.[p]He says NEVER scale mullet as the scales, skin, and oil insulate the meat of the fish to smoke, not cook. The better woods (in your area) to smoke fish with are buttonwood, mangrove, and baywood. Smoke at 115º till the fish are golden brown and they are done. Season with salt initially and a second time after brushing off the resulting juice. Once the fish begins to color, brush with melted butter and resalt. Baste with butter and resalt again a time or two as needed. The salt brings out the flavor of this fish.[p]True smoking of this fish requires a smoker or ceramic cookers in tandem to maintain a 115º temperature through the cook.[p]Please share your results . . .
  • Borders
    djm5x9, that's good stuff. My mullet is not scaled and I have a ceramic smoker. I know that Ted Peter's, a local mullet have uses only red oak, and so will I. I'll follow these thoughts for sure and let you know. Thanks,
    Scott

• djm5x9
    Borders:[p]In his book, Ted says hickory, oak, citrus, etc., are not desireable for fish as they give off a sharp, somewhat bitter flavor. Mr. Peters could get around this by introducing just a little oak smoke for flavor, but not over doing it. You may want to experiment a little . . .
    [/b]
  • Borders
    djm5x9, I spent an hour in the Peter's smokehouse talking to the chefs. Their entire operation, fire, heat and smoke is run on red oak. I saw both the fires and the wood.
    Your information concerns me. No need to use oak when I have so many other options. Thanks for the input. I'm getting things warmed up right now.
    By the way, did you really mean 115 degrees?

• djm5x9
    Borders:[p]Ted says the smoking he does is not cold smoking - around 90º but at the 115º range. I always thought this type of smoking was done in the 120º to 140º range. Sounds like time for experimentation! Just remember that this cooked product must be refrigerated and it can be frozen.
    [/b]
  • MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Borders,
    To me oak makes mullett a bit bitter and strong. I have never used mountain alder but it seems to be a milder and sweeter wood.
    Good luck
    Howard in Bartow

• Borders
    MR H, thanks bro. See my post above, I used very little red oak, and the alder was good.
    Scott[p]PS Bucs 0-1

• gary
    gary Posts: 28
    djm5x9,
    Thanks for the tip!