Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt in a medium...

Options
PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had been using XLs for long cooks and had no trouble at all neither to control temperature nor with charcoal quantity issues... I now have a Medium egg... is there some special trick I should be aware of? how long should I expect the lump to last at 250F?

any input is greatly appreciated.
cheers

Comments

• BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    I have an XL and am a new "medium" owner as well. I have not done a low & slow with the medium yet, but I will tell you that compared to the XL, temperatures move fast. You need to keep an eye on that thing until it reaches the desired stable temperature.

Don
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Pato:

A full load of lump a medium will go a long time. I don't have a medium anymore (gave it to my son when I got the 2nd large), but that was my only Egg for more than 3 years. I recall going at least 18 hours more than once. Large cooks that I recall include three 8 pound butts or six slabs of baby backs or two 8 pound brisket flats , plus lots of other stuff.

brisket cook

I tried to find the rib cook, but couldn't. Just use your imagination (which from what I've seen of your cooking that should be easy) and you will do fine!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Pato

Congrats on the medium egg. I really enjoy mine. I can fill the egg to the top of the fire ring. Sometimes my plate setter has a little wobble to it because I have gone a bit further. I usually do my butts at about 225º and will have plenty of lump left over. I have a DigiQ II and can get over 20 hours at that temperature and probably longer. I think the medium cooks just like the large, I have never cooked on an XL. I think I would get lost inside one of those puppies. :lol:

Gator

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    20 hours or so is what I've experienced. Filled to the gills, as they say.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE