Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Tip

AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]Been a while since I've posted so let's see who I can drag out of the woodwork. Who's got the lastest and best way to serve up a 4 lb. sirloin tip? I know someone here has mastered this cut... [p]AndyR

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Ruta-Tuta:[p]I think this is best cooked rare . . . The internal should be in the 120º - 125º range and with a cut this size you will have a mix of done and rare to choose from. A basic seasoning could be as simple as Lawry's or anything else you prefer. Good to see you post again!
    [/b]
  • AndyR
    djm5x9,
    I knew you'd be the first to respond. I hope all is well with you and yours.[p]I'm trying to get away from the traditional 325º for X miutes a pound. Has anyone cooked one of these like they would a butt - 250º for umpteen hours?[p]

• djm5x9
    AndyR:[p]I would use the standard 325º at fifteen to twenty minutes per pound as a guideline with a polder or instant monitor the final few minutes of the cook.[p]All is well here with me and mine and I trust the same is true with you and yours!
  • AndyR,[p]Yes, I have done one as a long and slow in the kitchen range oven. In the EGG will be the same, except smoked. I did it by following "Joys of Cooking" directions and it was very tasty... moist and tender. Sirloin tip is not the best of the sirloin. It is not as tender when cooked at a higher temperature. It is more tender when done a bit long and slow. [p]First it says to brown the seasoned roast. It calls for a 450* oven for 10 minutes to do this. I would do this either in the kitchen oven or on the kitchen stove top, by browning in a lightly oiled pan . Then bake in the EGG at 250* until:
    Rare: ........115* to 125*
    Medium rare:..125* to 130*
    Medium:.......135* to 145*
    Timing will be approximately 20 to 30 minutes per pound. Remove meat to platter, cover with foil, let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving. [p]It should be very very good. Let us know how it turns out![p]Bonnie

• AndyR
    jrterrier,[p]Thanks Bonnie. I'm going to try your method. BTW, it's refreshing to see someone who knows the true temps for doneness of beef. Thanks again.[p]Andy
  • AndyR
    djm5x9,
    My brohers and I are going in on a couple gallons of Obies. You want in?

• djm5x9
    Ruta-Tuta:[p]Yes I do as my stock is low. I think Mr. Snyders would like some too. When do you plan to place the order?
    [/b]
  • Andy,[p]I did a 6#, 7 bone potroast by this method and it turned out so very moist, tender, and a lovely smokey flavor. It was wonderful. (I am keeping a look out for another one that large.) I hope your tip roast is as great. [p]Bonnie