Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed for lo/slo in process

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to bed at 12:30 with a steady temp of about 230. When I woke at 2:30 and checked the egg, it had dropped to 150. I got it back up to 230 again, then went back to bed. At 5:30 I checked again and it was at 350! I've been struggling to get it back down ever since. It is now 7:45 and the temp is still at 300. The meat is at 175. Do I have any hope of saving this butt? What can you do to lower the temp quickly in a situation like this? I made the mistake of opening the lid, thinking this would help cool things down. It didn't.[p]

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    DLS,[p]Unless you scorched the meat during a temp spike while getting your beauty sleep :~), your dinner should be just fine. Butts are very forgiving and hard to mess up..... and you've probably got a very nice bark by now.
    300 is just a touch higher than I tend to cook a butt but you should be ok at that temp, too. If you would be more comfortable cooking at a lower temp, I would suggest pulling the butt off and lowering the egg temp using the techniques described in the thread below.
    Whatever your results, let us know what you ended up doing and how it all turned out.....oh, yeah and pictures...... good luck![p]John

[ul][li]Cooling the Egg[/ul]