Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket - separate point from flat before or after

Options
Purpose
Purpose Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Considering this for space issues before the cook.

Any benefits to leaving them as one?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i usually trim the majority of that hard fat out between the two, but leave them slight intact... when the flat comes out of the plateau at around 175 - 180 i usually separate them then, wrap the flat in foil and return it to the egg to finish at around 190 -195 but leave the point in unrapped until its done for burnt ends. ...
    that way, i insure a nice moist flat, but get the point rendered the way i want it ...

HTH ...
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I always leave them together to prevent the smaller halves from drying out. If it's too big to fit in whole, put something (foil wrapped fire brick, empty aluminum can, etc.) under the middle to prop it up until it shrinks a bit while cooking.

-John
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Max,

What temp do you cook your briskets??? And do you adjust the temp any once you have seperated the point & flat???

Thanks for any info.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i usually cook them at around 250 - 275 for lo and slo...

once the flat is completely done and i've removed it to a cooler and wrapped it in a towell, etc. .if the point is still feeling to gooshey (is that bbq technical term? LOL) ....i'll crank up the temps to as high as 375 or so to finish it up. ...you have to be careful though to make sure that you don't end up with a point that is just plain burnt crust on the outside while still to fatty in the center. . .its not so much a temp thing as a texture/feel thing. . .

having said all that. ..i have been known to fast cook briskets. ...set the egg up at 350 degrees dome temp ....smoke heavily for 2 hours or so ...then wrap the entire brisket in double HDAF and put back on for 3 more more hours or until it hits 195 and 'feels' right. ...they come out great that way too. ..i'll do them this way if i don't feel like doing an allnighter and setting up the gurus etc. ...i can start a whole brisket at noon and have it ready for dinner....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I wouldn't separate them. I've done a 16.5 pound packer in my medium. Just kinds mash it all in there until you can close the lid. It will shrink as it cooks.

Like Max, I trim the hard fat kernel between the two muscles, but leave most of the external fat intact.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    on the fast cook are you adding any liquid to the foil. ive always added but think ill try no liquid next time as i dont much care for the off texture with the liquid. theres a point where brisket is too moist and potroasty
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    nope i don't add anthing ...there is usually enough fat in the brisket that it creates its own liquid and self steams itself