Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ways your egg can kill you

BigGreenDon
BigGreenDon Posts: 167
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Inspired by the cancer thread below, let's start a list of the ways your egg can kill you!

I'll start:

1) Unfortunate positioning of your chaise lounge when your buddy opens your XL (and you forgot to tighten the bands!)

2) Experiencing "flashback" just after you spilled your mint julip all over yourself.

anybody else?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    lead fumes from making fishing weights with your egg ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    putting metal, of any kind, in the egg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    you could get a heart attack buy seeing that picture celtic wolf has of a broken egg :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    your atv is less stable with an egg loaded on back, especially when traveling up an incline, funny how they dont have a danger sticker on the atv for that, they have one for just about everything else. beware of rollover

DSC_0251.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Slowly, one steak at a time.
  • Your spouse finally loses it when you buy a mini to complement your large/medium/small combo.
  • fishlessman
    probably has something to do with the lead fumes :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    or you die from her talking to you about another egg ;)

thats a true story i almost died when my wife out of the blue suggested a xl :ohmy:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Stoking the bottom vent with alcohol breath :whistle:
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Remember when they launched that XL with a giant slingshot on TV?? If you were where it landed, it could kill you.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    You put your head in it at 500 degrees, and someone slams the lid shut around your neck and holds it down. I hate when that happens ;)

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Full bearded men checking status of a 700 degree pizza through the open top vent.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Getting you interested in lump charcoal, so much so, that you start a website devoted to lump charcoal, which prompts you to measure the moisture content of some lump charcoal, which prompts you to put some in an oven at 300 degrees, which causes the lump charcoal to unexpectedly ignite, which thank god, you found a) before the wife (yes, the wife who...) found it and b) before the house caught fire.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I want sooo much to ask, "You know this how??"
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Taking your Large to bed with you so you don't have to get up on those "overnight cooks." The Bride waits until you are asleep and strategically places some hot lump in your boxers. :pinch:
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Cooking on your Egg before you told the wife you bought one.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    A really hard faceplant after hardcore parking lot egging until the wee hours. :whistle:
  • Making ABTs for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. :ohmy:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I wondered what happened to that moisture retention experiment? Now I know :laugh:
    Taking the dome off without tying down the hinge springs can cause loss of teeth, among other injuries :blush:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • how about, let burning ember fly out of your egg and set your house on fire? :unsure: :blink: :whistle:

(i hope the statute of limitations is up on this one and we can laugh about it now!). ..if not, i'm in deep kimche and my kid may not have a job when she gets back from camp!!
  • Here's how it happens:

You buy an egg because your buddy has one and you want to be cool like him even though he has a BMW and you don't but just watch, you will one day, and it'll be a 5 series, not that stupid 3 series he has. but anyway....

you decide the first cook will be a nice rib roast. at the grocery store, you discover they don't have any good rib roasts because (says a meat man manager-type) "they say a truck broke down and all the beef due in has spoiled from the heat".

luckily, some old lady in a bonnet with a brim of bumped blue buckram mentions she has an extra coupon for a turkey, if you want it, and you do. want it. the coupon, i mean, not the hat.

so you have her show you where they are, thank you very much, and you reach into the case to get a turkey for her and a turkey for yourself because that's just how you are and gee it's only proper and "well you gave me your extra coupon I mean don't think of it. you're welcome".

she's all "my these open cases are awfully cold even though they are open, aren't they?", and you are just biting your tongue and thinking "oh just stifle it" but you smile and nod and hate her from the inside because you just do and so what, and what business is it of anyone's why?

less charitably, you hang back a second pretending to check your pretend grocery list, a receipt you found in your back pocket from that craft fair you went to looking for one of those machines that automatically knits socks and tubes and stuff like that. not a list at all but she's too stupid to know, i mean look at her what is she, 80?

she smiles and thanks you and says "you're a nice young man" and turns toward the aisles asking "cat litter?" You point to where the cat litter isn't but who cares why should you know where the cat litter is?

Her back to you and your front to the side, you knock her hat into the cooler. In befuddlement, bewildered, she bends and reaches.

In the moment, without a pause and with breath abated, you take a bill from the wallet of her purse, which she has sitting in the little seat of the carriage, coupons and mints and wallet at the ready.

Pocketing the bill, a ten, newly crisp, you point out to her as she rises that "gee your purse is open and someone could take your wallet if they wanted", and she thanks you. you mention she looks familiar, like maybe from church. and then you laugh to yourself walking away. she calls after you "thank you again!" such a nice young man.

at the checkout counter, you pay by check, so that you can spend a lot longer ogling the woman ringing up your order. you say things like "i have a large big green egg", and "I am considering purchasing a BMW five series"

into the air, humid and hanging, the light from the sun on your face, a face basking already in triumph and not needing the sun at all really.

crossing the parking lot, you throw the receipt on the ground because, let's face it, it's trash and that's really not your problem. wait. was it? half a step to stop, and a step back to check. yep. you see instead that it was the ten that you'd dropped.

so you set the turkey on the front fender of a Fairlane, powder blue, with original four-digit low-number license plate with expired tags, and bumperettes that you are sure weren't factory. Whose car? Who cares? Turkey dent and all.

Bending to pick up the ten, you hear the engine start and the wipers get to slapping. Wipers on a sunny day (see: spoiled rib roasts, above).

The Fairlane fairly lurches forward, throwing you to the ground, the right front wheel riding up your shirt (first), then up and over your surrendering ribcage (second), said ribs cracking loudly and audibly, surprising you, frankly. Your neck feels pierced with something sharp, but the tire seems so smooth and round. Might call it bald, even.

A shuddering, too-late, lurching stop bodes well, but you realize(as the lights begin to blink out one by one) that it is done. Your heart has been stopped, and the last trillion atoms of oxygen in the already stilled blood are merely keeping your brain alive a little longer while the rest of you is already, clinically, assuredly, regrettably, dead.

lightheadedness setting in. You realize it isn't as poetic and profound as you thought it would be. Rather than angels and regrets, there are flashes of absurdity. "I was looking forward to turkey". Your mind refusing to acknowledge the obvious. "I'll be ok if I can just sit up. Really. Someone help me up..."

And as the darkness closes in from all sides, as you resign yourself to oblivion, a figure leans over you. The shadow from a blue bonnet falls across your face...

"Oh my. Oh dear.... Are you ok, young man....?"

The crumpled ten falling from your loosening fist rolls an inch or two, until it stops against the toe of her left foot's patent leather flat. The heel is rounded, and there are salt stains from the winter six months past.

They are Bally's, size five.

(with apologies to Roald Dahl, O. Henry, David Foster Wallace, et al)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    LMAO....but clueless.. :woohoo:
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You know I love the alliteration. Was that just for me?
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    hilarious. Thx for sharing.

Mine: My imagination runs wild every time I lean down with the ash tool to clear some of the embers from the grate holes. What's waiting in ambush? The best one I've thought of is the "IT" clown from Stephen King...
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    No, the moisture retention experiment is in full swing. I'm debating on whether or not to let it go another month.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Chris,

It isn't too bad after the first coupla times ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    You get use to it after the first couple of times :whistle:
  • OH-MY-GOD!!!! i think i just peed myself. . . .now darlene may not be the fuzzy little missus ....and there may not be any buelah in his family tree, but the stike has outdone himself on this one!!!!. .. and he even spells better than the stumpbaby. . .but the warped creativity and prose were certainly on par with anything the stump ever wrote!!

thanks jeff...i for one needed that after the past week!!!