Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

Hooter
Hooter Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought my first tri tip...they're hard to find in Columbia, MD. [p]Any recommendations on how to prepare it this weekend? [p]Thanks all!

Comments

• Hooter,
    I went to one of those local festivals this weekend and tri tip sandwiches they were great.[p]I bought a container of the guys rub. He basically rubbed it down and cooked direct until done. Sliced thin and place on french rolls.
    Here a link ask the butcher sent me.[p]CWM

[ul][li]Tri tip[/ul]
  • Hooter,
    I do them indirect @250 about 5 hours. Rub heavily with your favorite rub. I put pecan and hickory chunks in the fire. A great piece of meat!! tstick

• tstick,[p]Not to start a family fued, Dad, but I did my last one at 250 indirect for 3 hours. Internal temp in the middle was 155 - middle was done about medium and the ends were well done enough for the ladies. That tri-tip was about 2.7 lbs according to my notes.[p]Woo-hoo!! Mizzou just lost to Troy (State) U 24-14 and the Royals scored 26 runs, finishing the day at .500.[p]I'm smoking 4 chickens right now for our Chiefs party at work tomorrow. Any ideas for lo-n-slo horsemeat on Sunday??
  • Hooter,
    Tri Tip is a lean cut and does not lend itself well to a long cook in my opinion. I think 30 to 45 minutes should be plenty of time at about °350. It lends itself well to a medium rare.

[ul][li]Tri-tip on the Egg[/ul]
  • db
    db Posts: 103
    astick,
    Let Roaf and the Priest tenderize them, then go indirect.
    I was gonna try the Trex tomorrow on some strips. Maybe it would work on a tri-tip.

• Hooter,
    Tri tip is a favorite of mine in California. We just fed a soccer team tri tip sandwiches tonight for dinner. My favorite way to prepare it is a recipe from Sam Choy in Hawaii.[p]Pulehu Tri-tip[p]2 - 2.5 lb tri tips
    1/2 cup hawaiian or kosher salt (regular salt too salty)
    1 Tbsp. fresh minced garlic
    1/2 Tbsp. cracked peppercorns
    1 Tbsp. sugar[p]Prepare grill to 450 degrees.[p]Mix the above seasonings and rub on meat 30 minutes before grilling. Place on grill direct and turn every 4 - 5 minutes until done. This is best served on the rare side. Charred on the outside and red on the inside. I grill to an internal temperature of 123 - 125 degrees. Slice thin on the diagonal. Serve on some sourdough rolls with lettuce and tomatoes. It is sooo good. Everyone I have served it to wants the recipe. Good luck!

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Hooter, glad you found a tri tip. I live in Frederick and the butchers look at you like you are on crack for wanting one.[p]When we lived in California tri tip was a staple item at most stores. We would buy one and fill a paper sack with plenty of salt and garlic powder; throw the meat in and shake the bag. [p]We would cook the tri tip on a open wood fire and just burn the hell out of it on the outside. Once it reached our desired internal temp it was time to eat. Talk about good!!![p]I would love to do one on an Egg.
  • Hooter,
    Once I found a place to buy a tri-tip where I live in Ga. I've been cooking one just about every week. I take mine, rub with DP Cow Lick while egg heats up to 550f. I then sear 6min per side on raised grid then insert thermometer and cook to 135f. Pull let rest 15-30 min. in cold oven slice thin serve like roast or make sandwiches. Also goes well with salsa.

• Hooter
    Hooter,[p]Thanks all for the tips. I can't wait until Sunday to cook that baby up. Not sure which one I'll do, maybe the DP Cow Lick.

• Hooter,[p]Done it a bunch of ways... marinated, dry-rubbed, salt & pepper... high-temp sear (550*+) then lower-temp finish (350*-400*), medium temp (400*-450*) for the whole cook, lower temp (350*) for the whole cook. Lately I tend to cook them around 350*-400* (after a quick sear at about 500*-550*) and they take about 25-35 minutes. Cook until a few degrees from your desired doneness, then pull and rest for about 10 minutes. Definitely a favorite in our house. Really haven't had one turn out bad yet... have had one on the tough side from time to time or perhaps a little overcooked - but even then it had great flavor and was plenty moist. I prefer mine medium-rare (with a shade toward the rare) and my wife prefers medium (with a shade toward well - no pink). The beauty is that if I cook it right, she gets the ends to her liking and I get the middle to mine... and the kids eat whatever is left :)[p]Walter
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Walter, Well mine are done this way, lots of your favorite rub or spices and insert a temp probe, Do a slo cook at 250 till the probe reads 130, then let it cool a bit, and high fire at searing temps and give it a good grill marks. Let it rest 15 minutes. Never fails. This is backwards from most everybody else with the Trex method, but you just cant do better.

• Hooter,[p]I'm in No. VA and have never found a local tritip. Where did you get one?[p]Thanks,[p]Clausen

• Hooter
    clausenk,[p]Actually found it at Trader Joe's in Towson, MD. They had dry ones and marinated ones. [p]Do you have a TJ nearby?
  • tach18k,[p]That's the next method on my list. I've heard good things about doing the "reverse" steak cook.[p]Walter
  • clausenk,
    I live in Falls Church and I discovered a fabulaous old time butcher shop in Springfield where I purchased my boston butt this weekend. It's called Springfield Butcher. They're in the yellow pages under "butcher". Check them out. I noticed they also have some Tri-tip roasts. I was very impressed.[p]Cheers,
    Skipper