Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tri Tip

HooterHooter Posts: 125
edited 3:30PM in EggHead Forum
Just bought my first tri tip...they're hard to find in Columbia, MD. [p]Any recommendations on how to prepare it this weekend? [p]Thanks all!

Comments

• Hooter,
    I went to one of those local festivals this weekend and tri tip sandwiches they were great.[p]I bought a container of the guys rub. He basically rubbed it down and cooked direct until done. Sliced thin and place on french rolls.
    Here a link ask the butcher sent me.[p]CWM

[ul][li]Tri tip[/ul]
  • Hooter,
    I do them indirect @250 about 5 hours. Rub heavily with your favorite rub. I put pecan and hickory chunks in the fire. A great piece of meat!! tstick

• tstick,[p]Not to start a family fued, Dad, but I did my last one at 250 indirect for 3 hours. Internal temp in the middle was 155 - middle was done about medium and the ends were well done enough for the ladies. That tri-tip was about 2.7 lbs according to my notes.[p]Woo-hoo!! Mizzou just lost to Troy (State) U 24-14 and the Royals scored 26 runs, finishing the day at .500.[p]I'm smoking 4 chickens right now for our Chiefs party at work tomorrow. Any ideas for lo-n-slo horsemeat on Sunday??
  • Hooter,
    Tri Tip is a lean cut and does not lend itself well to a long cook in my opinion. I think 30 to 45 minutes should be plenty of time at about °350. It lends itself well to a medium rare.

[ul][li]Tri-tip on the Egg[/ul]
  • dbdb Posts: 103
    astick,
    Let Roaf and the Priest tenderize them, then go indirect.
    I was gonna try the Trex tomorrow on some strips. Maybe it would work on a tri-tip.

• Hooter,
    Tri tip is a favorite of mine in California. We just fed a soccer team tri tip sandwiches tonight for dinner. My favorite way to prepare it is a recipe from Sam Choy in Hawaii.[p]Pulehu Tri-tip[p]2 - 2.5 lb tri tips
    1/2 cup hawaiian or kosher salt (regular salt too salty)
    1 Tbsp. fresh minced garlic
    1/2 Tbsp. cracked peppercorns
    1 Tbsp. sugar[p]Prepare grill to 450 degrees.[p]Mix the above seasonings and rub on meat 30 minutes before grilling. Place on grill direct and turn every 4 - 5 minutes until done. This is best served on the rare side. Charred on the outside and red on the inside. I grill to an internal temperature of 123 - 125 degrees. Slice thin on the diagonal. Serve on some sourdough rolls with lettuce and tomatoes. It is sooo good. Everyone I have served it to wants the recipe. Good luck!

• ZekeZeke Posts: 90
    Hooter, glad you found a tri tip. I live in Frederick and the butchers look at you like you are on crack for wanting one.[p]When we lived in California tri tip was a staple item at most stores. We would buy one and fill a paper sack with plenty of salt and garlic powder; throw the meat in and shake the bag. [p]We would cook the tri tip on a open wood fire and just burn the hell out of it on the outside. Once it reached our desired internal temp it was time to eat. Talk about good!!![p]I would love to do one on an Egg.
  • Hooter,
    Once I found a place to buy a tri-tip where I live in Ga. I've been cooking one just about every week. I take mine, rub with DP Cow Lick while egg heats up to 550f. I then sear 6min per side on raised grid then insert thermometer and cook to 135f. Pull let rest 15-30 min. in cold oven slice thin serve like roast or make sandwiches. Also goes well with salsa.

• HooterHooter Posts: 125
    Hooter,[p]Thanks all for the tips. I can't wait until Sunday to cook that baby up. Not sure which one I'll do, maybe the DP Cow Lick.

• Hooter,[p]Done it a bunch of ways... marinated, dry-rubbed, salt & pepper... high-temp sear (550*+) then lower-temp finish (350*-400*), medium temp (400*-450*) for the whole cook, lower temp (350*) for the whole cook. Lately I tend to cook them around 350*-400* (after a quick sear at about 500*-550*) and they take about 25-35 minutes. Cook until a few degrees from your desired doneness, then pull and rest for about 10 minutes. Definitely a favorite in our house. Really haven't had one turn out bad yet... have had one on the tough side from time to time or perhaps a little overcooked - but even then it had great flavor and was plenty moist. I prefer mine medium-rare (with a shade toward the rare) and my wife prefers medium (with a shade toward well - no pink). The beauty is that if I cook it right, she gets the ends to her liking and I get the middle to mine... and the kids eat whatever is left :)[p]Walter
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    Walter, Well mine are done this way, lots of your favorite rub or spices and insert a temp probe, Do a slo cook at 250 till the probe reads 130, then let it cool a bit, and high fire at searing temps and give it a good grill marks. Let it rest 15 minutes. Never fails. This is backwards from most everybody else with the Trex method, but you just cant do better.

• Hooter,[p]I'm in No. VA and have never found a local tritip. Where did you get one?[p]Thanks,[p]Clausen

• HooterHooter Posts: 125
    clausenk,[p]Actually found it at Trader Joe's in Towson, MD. They had dry ones and marinated ones. [p]Do you have a TJ nearby?
  • tach18k,[p]That's the next method on my list. I've heard good things about doing the "reverse" steak cook.[p]Walter
  • clausenk,
    I live in Falls Church and I discovered a fabulaous old time butcher shop in Springfield where I purchased my boston butt this weekend. It's called Springfield Butcher. They're in the yellow pages under "butcher". Check them out. I noticed they also have some Tri-tip roasts. I was very impressed.[p]Cheers,
    Skipper