Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Farmers Market finds + Bolo Burger

Options
Vincent Chase
Vincent Chase Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to my first farmer's market today with my girlfriend and had a great time. I remember my dad telling me a while back about these french fries he had 'back in the day' that were the best he's ever had in his life and said the restaurant had used 'just picked' potatoes which he attributed to why they were so great. Well, one of the farmers had 'just picked' baby potatoes and his story came to my mind and I couldn't resist picking them up. I also grabbed some fresh dill, white peaches and golden raspberries and headed home.

For the potatoes, I went with a recipe out of Adam Perry Lang's Serious BBBQ called New Potatoes with Old Bay and Dill. You take aluminum foil and place the ingredients already listed with some pats of butter, thyme and red pepper flakes (which I omitted) and close it up. On the Egg it goes for 45 mins to an hour at 350. This was insanely delicious. I had made it once before and everyone raved about it, but this batch with the farm fresh ingredients just put it over the top. The potatoes were unlike anything I had before and I totally see my dads point. Just a smooth creaminess to them unlike anything I have experienced so far. The recipe also calls for dipping the potatoes in dijon mustard which really worked well.

Just a side note - I really like big flavors and cool techniques and this recipe on it's own wasn't anything I'd expect to blow my hair back, but I really had a 'lightbulb' moment with this one. Farm fresh product, a few complimentary spices and the magic of fire and that was it. Loved the simplicity of this.

Also did Bobby Flay's 'Bolo Burger', named after a Spanish restaurant he owned and operated. Grabbed a pound and half of 80/20 and formed four patties and they went direct on the Egg at around 350-375 until slightly pink. The recipe also calls for a piquillo pepper-smoked paprika aoili, serrano ham and manchego cheese... well, I have seen piquillos at Whole Foods but couldn't find them today so roasted red peppers were subbed in. I painted the bottom portion of the bun with the aoili, added the cheese, then the ham on the cheese, with the burger on that. Added more cheese on the burger, more ham on that and more sauce and pressed it down on the grill. That's your Bolo burger. Girlfriend absolutely loved it. The aoili tasted a bit salty to me but a few tablespoons of honey really evened the flavor out.

For desert was another Flay recipe - grilled peaches with a red wine syrup and amaretto cookies. The white peaches I got today were watermelon-like in their juiciness. It was insane. I'm going to stock up on these next week because I could have eaten them all night. The red wine syrup was 2 cups of cabernet reduced with vanilla bean and star anise and a bit of sugar. I didn't get a shot of this but the freshness of the peaches was the star of the dish.

IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg

Comments