Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When you get the egg cranking to sear, say a steak, should you wait till the flames have gone out or does it matter. I figured since the lump is natural it probably doesn't matter but I will let you eggsperts handle the question.[p]Thanks in advance,[p]Bullet Bob

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Bullet Bob,
    Let the flames roar! I usually start to clamp down on them at 750 degrees and then sear the steaks. You can't reach that kind of temperature without a good fire burning in the egg.

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    Bullet Bob,[p]Crank it up to 750°, open the dome, throw the steaks on and watch the flames dance around the meat. It's a beautiful sight. You may even feel like dancing to the sound of the sizzle. [p]Paul
  • Standbell
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I've had great success with a simple method posted on this site some six years ago. Here how it goes: Get the egg up to a very high temp, 750-800F or higher, at temp, put on the steak, it should be about 2" thick, close dome and roast for 4 min,with out the Daisy wheel, open, and turn and do another 4 min. Then place the dome cap on, and do another 4 min.with the dome cap in place. The results are just a shade past rare, and very nice. Hope this helps.