Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any Five Guys Burgers fans here?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Oh crikey....I knew I felt a monstrous disturbance in the force as soon as I typed out my reply.

A couple days ago you admitted you were wrong and now we agree on something else. Armageddon is nigh.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    One more place in SoCal that I always visit is L&L Drive-In. It is a plate lunch place the branched out from Hawaii. Love their chicken katsu or teriyaki. And can't get enough Loco Moco.

Double-Double is 2x meat and 2x cheese. You can get the fries animal style too, but that is a bit too messy for my taste.
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    If you want a burger out, Five Guys is the place to go on the east coast (In-N-Out on the west coast is still the best burger out there) All their ingredients are fresh and if you go away hungry you are one heck of an eater.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    One opened in Killeen, Texas and I was there 3 to 4 times a week for the first month.
    The third month I had a stroke and have not been back.
    Damn I miss 5 Guys.... No 5 Guys was not the problem, it was being about 65 pounds over the weight limit and 62 years old....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Pole Reversal!!!
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i've eaten there a half a dozen times now, and probably my last. their hamburgers are ok but their fries are a greasy mess and they give you WAY too many.

and like celtic wolf said, i can pull better burgers off my egg like i want them and in about the same amount of time it would take me to drive to five guys, eat and drive home.
  • Mickey
    Mike I think its in the top 2 or 3 not cooked on an EGG.
    Have you made Storms in the HillCountry?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Yup, albertos, alberts, and also MolcaSalsa, all pretty much the same, hard to say no to their rolled tacos and guac.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Pro: Awesome fries.

Con: No milkshake.

Verdict- By all means, if I'm in the neighborhood for early or late lunch- not going during the rush.

In Nashville, I'd rather go to Cheeseburger Charlie's - burgers are the same, fries are acceptable, but CC has milkshakes.

All the Fuddruckers along my travels are defunct. Shame.

Big T
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    made me drive 10 miles to an In and Out Burger for lunch. -RP
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    You know where they (Fuddruckers) started? Hint...we eat there occasionally.

LR
  • ever been to Hodad's in OB (San Diego)? That place is worth the drive from anywhere in the Southwest. Burgers, fries, shakes....
  • I really like Burger lounge in San Diego. A bit off topic but the Rapongie happy hour in La Jolla is incredible.
  • yep, i've been to the one in downtown SA. .. i think it was the first?! ..its funny, when they first opened up here in 'civilization' they tried that gimick where they had the hanging sides of beef in the window like they do down there in texas to show you how fresh the beef is!! ... well, people up here in DC didn't like knowing where their burgers came from and see the guy in the window with his bloody apron and all...it was just to "real" for the proper folks here in washington area .. ..so the stopped it and they just have the burgers pre-made and shipped in now. ..probably not as good either!!
  • we have another place here in northern VA called "elevation burger"....make their fries in olive oil -FANTASTIC . ..but their burgers are organic and low fat = lousy no taste. . .but their shakes THEIR SHAKES are made with real, REAL handpacked ice cream, and real ingrediants like bananas and strawberries and choco syrup and whole milk ...and then aeriated on a real hamilton beach milk shake machine, not a blender like even B&R uses these days ....best shakes around period!!!. ...we always say, if we could just take our elevation shakes and match em up with our five guys burgers, then we'd really be in fast food heaven!!
  • LOL ...hope you took your BP medicine today!!
  • Mickey
    Mike the first Fuddruckers I can remember is Houston.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Gotta love them. They have peanuts for you while you wait. The burgers rock and the fries are out of this world fresh and tasty.

They are the best thing when you're in GA and get an In&Out craving.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Yeah, life sure is tough way out here in the West!! ;)
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    I have been to the old one on Walter Reed with my son who lives in Arlington,Va and it was good. They recently expanded to St. Louis and while the food is good it just isn't the same ambiance as the old store...Pete
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I love 5 guys burgers. We have two locations here in Huntsville. We also have a Cheeburger Cheeburger and I have to say that IMO %-guys smokes Cheeburger by a long shot. The fries are great as well!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    My wife would say that my burgers are better than there's but I dont think so. I'd rather have five guys. Please give me the tips to make a better one than them. I've been cooking em on the egg for two years. Just don't think they are that good yet.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I'm glad this was posted. I've never heard of 5 guys before, so I googled it and, lo and behold!, they just opened one two miles from my house :) Here's another reason for you to return to Plano in Nov., Mickey!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Fidel wrote:
    One more place in SoCal that I always visit is L&L Drive-In. It is a plate lunch place the branched out from Hawaii. Love their chicken katsu or teriyaki. And can't get enough Loco Moco.

Double-Double is 2x meat and 2x cheese. You can get the fries animal style too, but that is a bit too messy for my taste.

Fidel, I am with you on the L&L's! I have been going to the SLC, UT location for about 5-6 years now, atleast once a month. I love that place.

Now about the Five Guys, I love this place. I am socal transplant, and I have never understood the In n out thing, even when I lived there. Dry, tiny burger. Five guys has an incredibly juicy burger, and I can say that the flat top burger they make there is better than any grilled burger I have found (including the Egg or any other cooking vessel :silly: ).

I dont care about the pain I may suffer from everyone after posting this, Five Guys rules! :woohoo:
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    I love 5 Guys. But Ray's is over the top awesome!
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Had my first one in Toledo Ohio earlier this year. Was totally underimpressed. Very average taste, no big deal. I'm perplexed.

mShark
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Love the place! They just opened one up in town!! Can't eat there to often as i would gain 50 lbs from there big burgers!! :)
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    The wife and I just tried them out. We think they are great. This is a regular cheeseburger. Two quarter pound burgers and 2 slices of cheese. Lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard, ketchup, pickles and they even saute their onions and mushrooms. You can get more stuff on them, too. The fries overflowed the cup! The burger was $4.00 and change. I bought this one for Spring Chicken, but he was a no-show :woohoo:

100_0119.jpg
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    At 59, I try to resist the likes of 5 Guys. However, a month or two ago I spent about 5 hours helping my son do landscaping, so he bought at 5G. I enjoyed it immensely and the prior hard labor wiped any guilt out! For a burger out, I'd put it up there among the best. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that anything like a "lean" burger ain't gonna be that good, no matter how you cook it or dress it up. Gotta have the fat content. If it doesn't drip, it's no good!