Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Brine

Options
Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a quick question. I am thinking about doing a prime rib this weekend and would like to try to brine it. Is this a good idea? How do I prepare the brine solution? Any other suggestions are welcome.[p]Thanx in advance.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Personally I wouldn't. Prime Rib is such a fine cut of meat to begin with it would seem a shame to cover that up with a brine. I've cooked 2 of them and cant see how brining would have improved either of them. Doc Chicken has an awesome recipe for Prime Rib, if he doesn't chime in here give me an email and I'll get it to you. Just my two pennies but I vote no.[p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Jethro,
    I agree with sprinter! Prime rib is such a choice cut of meat, it doesn't need to be brined. Look at the new recipe file and find "Dr Chicken's Old English Prime Rib" under the beef section. This is an excellent recipe and very easy to do on the Egg. It allows the full flavor of the prime rib to come shinning through! I have another recipe that calls for marinading the roast overnight, but I haven't used it since I tried this one. Look at it, and see what you think! If you have any questions, e-mail me and I'll get back with you right away![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: I don't remember seeing your handle before. If you are one of the "newbie's", Welcome to the forum! There are some great folks here and we all love to cook with the Egg! Don't be afraid to jump in anytime and join in or ask questions! Everyone is willing to help.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Its about TIME you posted that recipe Doc, like I told you when you gave it to me and I tried it, if you DONT post it, I WILL. I was just about to do so. [p]Glad to see you posting, missed you over the past couple of days. Hope all of the new eggs in the family are being used well.[p]Troy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I was looking at your recipe for prime rib and have a question. In the list of ingredients it calls for salt and pepper to taste, but in the directions it refers to rock salt. Can you clarify? [p]This reminds me of a rock roast my mom used to make when I was growing up. The salt would make a solid shell that had to be broken up to carve the roast. Pretty good stuff..[p]Thanks!
    Ashley

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Ashley, If you have a box of Mortons Kosher Salt, check it for the recipe your referring to. It sound wierd but it must be a super roast. Gotta try it when I am more adventuresome. My regards to Dr. Chicken..and he may want to fill you in more. Good luck and good to see ya. My fishing is lousy, hows your's :-)
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Ashley,
    That is exactly what the rock salt does! You mix it with a little water & flour, till you have a crude paste, then pack it all over the roast. It will crystalize within minutes and seal all the juices in side. It is unbelievable!!![p]Salt & pepper to taste is refering just to the seasoning part. The rock salt on the outside does not contribute to an overly salty taste![p]I don't know any other recipe that calls for this approach, but I sure there are some! You Mom's recipe may be the precurssor to this recipe! Especially if it came out as good as the prime rib![p]Sorry I'm late getting back wid ya! I just got off work from 3rd shift! It's the pits!!![p]Hollar back if you have anymore questions![p]Dr. Chicken