Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Top Sirloin for this weekend-need ideas!

Options
GigEmEggs
GigEmEggs Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My parents are coming in this weekend. I have a half of a whole sirloin (about 7 lbs of the center cut section) that I am planning on thawing for this weekend. Anyone have any ideas? I always hear the words "smoked sirloin" and am intrigued at the thought, but I dont really have a good game plan in order. Suggestions and/or success stories would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I never tried this but saved it until that time. Tim ;)
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/xertsteak.htm
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way.

Beef, Tri-Tip, or Top Sirloin Shish Kabob

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    1/2 cup Olive Oil
    1/2 cup Whiskey
    1-3 Clove Garlic - smashed
    1 Medium piece of Ginger - sliced
    2-3 lb Top Sirloin or Tri-Tip
    Tomatoes
    Pineapple

*********Preparation Directions**********
    1 A simple, yet very tasty, shish kabob recipe. It starts with a good piece of top sirloin or tri-tip....cubed into 2"-3" cubes. Simply mix all of the marinade ingredients into a gallon size ziplock bag and then add the cubed sirloin/tri tip. I marinde for a minimum of 1 day, turning every few hours or so.
    **********Cooking Directions**********
    1 Simply place the meat on 1 set of skewers and your vegtables/fruit (I like pineapple and small tomatoes) on another and cook to medium rare (or however you like yours). I save the marinade from the bag and baste the meat and vegtables/fruit while they are cooking. The overall cooking time is not too long for medium rare.

Recipe Type
    Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Scott in KC

Source: BGE Forum, Scott in KC, 2006/01/15
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    are u meaning to cook whole somewhat like a roast?
  • GigEmEggs
    Options
    I do sirloin all the time for all kinds of stuff including trex steaks, fajitas, kabobs. I was really thinking of trying to cook the whole thing at once. Could I cook it just like I was t-rex'ing it by just searing on nuclear egg for 2 minutes a side, then maybe wrap in foil on lower temp to finish? Or has anyone tried to smoke a whole sirloin with any good results?

Im just in the mood to try something different with a large cut of meat that I have never before had in my freezer.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I never had but always thought about it just guessing I have always thought about 250 to 300 with temp up to 150internal the rest for an hour in foil and cooler but just a dream I've never done it
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    The XErt Top Sirloin Method
    ©2003, The Naked Whiz
    First of all, the name of this method is the XErt method because it is the opposite of the TRex method for New York Strips. Instead of searing the meat and then cooking it at a lower temperature after a 20 minute wait, we cook the meat at a lower temperature first, and then finish with a sear. However, we aren't dealing with expensive top dollar meat with this method. Rather, we are going to use a cheaper cut of meat, Top Sirloin, where this reversed TRex method will do a better job.
    The Approach:
    We first encountered this strategy in Alton Brown's Good Eats show entitled, "Raising The Steaks." He uses a military metaphor for explaining why this method works best with Top Sirloin. Basically, if you use a sear-only method (using every division at your disposal), you'll end up with a beautiful outer crust, but the heat (thermal troops) will push on into the heart of the meat yielding a medium-well result in a piece of meat that cries out for medium-rareness. If you use a sear followed by a cooler cook (allow your thermal troops to retreat), so much cellular damage is done, the steak may lose too many fluids to survive.
    But if you use a cool cook followed by a sear (sneak up on the steak with a few well-chosen commandos), you gently raise the interior temperature without doing much damage to the structure of the meat. Then when the center of the meat is within striking distance of medium-rare, you increase the heat, pushing in every bit of thermal energy you possibly got until the steak wishes it had never.....

So that's the approach. Gently cook, then sear to doneness.

Choose Your Meat
    This method is intended to be used with Top Sirloin. This doesn't mean good sirloin, it means a cut that comes from the top of the sirloin. It may also be called, depending on your location, top butt steak, center cut sirloin or hip sirloin steak. Do not use cuts from the bottom of the sirloin. These may be called tri-tip, ball tip, or any name that has "butt" in it, except of course, for the top butt steak. You want a nice thick piece of meat, about 1-1/4 inches thick.

The Rub
    We kept it simple when we cooked our top sirloin: cracked pepper, sea salt, and crushed garlic cloves.

Prepping The Meat
    Just crush the garlic (one large clove per side of each piece of meat), rub it into the meat, and then sprinkle with cracked pepper and sea salt.

Cooking The Meat
    Build a 400-degree fire in your ceramic cooker. Place the grid (for a Big Green Egg) on the fire ring. When you have the fire stabilized, cook your meat 5 minutes per side. (Of course, you may want to adjust this time to suit your taste and the thickness of the meat.)

Raising The Temperature For The Sear
    After you have cooked the meat on both sides, open the cooker, remove the meat and then set the bottom vent wide open and remove the daisy wheel from the top. You want as hot a roaring fire as you can get, perhaps around 750 degrees or more.

Searing The Meat
    Once the fire is roaring, sear the meat for 3 minutes per side. Again, you may wish to adjust this time depending on how charred you want your outer crust and how done you want your meat.

The Moment You've Been Waiting For
    Remove your steak from the Egg and rest it for about 2 – 3 minutes to redistribute the juices internally. Then slice it thinly. The meat fibers in a top sirloin run from the top of the meat to the bottom of the meat, in other words, they are standing on end. So you should cut the meat on the bias in order to keep the length of the meat fibers as short as possible. This will result in a more tender chewing experience than if you leave the meat fibers long. You can now experience a great steak at less than great-steak-prices. And you didn't have to wait the extra 20 minutes! :-)
  • GigEmEggs
    Options
    im a lil nervous about the xert method. I guess I would just initially cook to 130ish(?) and then finish off with a sear. Im thinking that it would take quit a while for that hunk of meat to get to 130 or so, so i might have some extremely crispy crust by that time.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Like I said I have not tried it but, I think I have the setup to get the job done.

I have a spider and a ci grid that fits in the spider and that would allow me to grill it up high first at 400° and I even have a large ci grid. Then you won't even have to open it wide open simply toss it on the lower grid.

I may have talked myself into this cook. Tim :P
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    I have a 3 pound sirloin roast I will be doing tomorrow.I'm going to try and make Baltimore pit beef.I'm going to cook at around 400 until it hits 140 and pull it off let rest 10 minutes or so and slice thin.They say pull of grill alot sooner but I like mine done a little more.