Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole beef tenderloin

Options
ScottinKC
ScottinKC Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
has anyone ever done one onthe BGE? If so, what advice do you have?[p]Thanks,

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Scottinkc,
    I did one at last years Eggtoberfest, I basically treated it just like a big steak. Covered it with some spices the evening before, and just kinda did a sear and turn kinda cook, until I got the internal around 135°. Let it rest for 15 or so minutes and slice away. I do seem to remember taking the thin end of the tenderloin and folding it back and tying to make the whole thing more even thickness....HTH[p]Wess

• BostonBBQ
    Options
    Scottinkc,
    this link might help.

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesTloin.html[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Scottinkc,
    Here is a reprint of a response that I made some time ago.[p]There are a couple of ways to go with this since you are starting with whole beef tenderloin. The center portion is the prime section to cut steaks. Also, a three pound tenderloin roast is more meat than you think. Usually a filet is 8 to 10 ounces so if you want a three pound roast, you will be farther ahead to just roast the whole tenderloin. However, the real estate of the small prohibits this. [p]About a month ago, I had a 1 lb tenderloin roast in the freezer. I used the Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin recipe from Smoke & Spice. I cooked the roast on my small BGE like I would a steak, but with a longer dwell. I had my small up to 550 and seared each side for about three minutes each. Then, instead of cap the egg, I put the daisy wheel on to throttle back the temperature. Once the temp dropped, I was able to use my polder. I pulled the roast out at 125. Also, I flipped the roast a couple of times to keep the Crust even. The overall cooking time was probably not over a half hour.[p]My suggestion is to cook the Beef first so that it can rest while you cook the pork, which if cooked at high temperature should finish up about the same time that beef has rested long enough.[p]Here is another crazy point in the fact that we had leftovers. If those were steaks, my wife and I would have eaten it all, but sliced as a roast we did not eat as much.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Scottinkc,[p]Try cutting a hole through the middle, and stuffing it with Spinach, Feta Cheese, Garlic, and Mushrooms. Then roast the whole thing at about 325 until it reaces 130 degrees.[p]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    beef%20tenderloin.jpg
    <p />Scottinkc,
    I sear at 700 then bring temp down and cook indirect until done. Usually use Dizzy Pig Cowlick.[p]CWM

• ravnhaus
    Options
    It's an old post, but what the heck.
    You can't go wrong, as long as you don't overcook.

[ul][li]tenderloin on an egg[/ul]