Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grass Fed Beef?

Options
FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I met someone a week ago that told be that she and her husband by all of their beef from a local farmer. I asked her to send me the info, and a few days ago, I received the brochure from this local farmer.

Long story short, he offers beef that is corn-fattened, grass fed/corn fattened, and grass-fattened. The price difference between the grass fed/corn fattened, and grass-fattened is only 10 cents a pound, but the grass-fattened is only available in late summer/early fall.

So here's the question....is there that much difference between grass fed/corn fattened, and grass-fattened?

I can get the grass fed/corn fattened a little cheaper, plus get it year round. He sells the beef by quarters and halves.

What would you do??

fc

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd suggest trying at least some of the grass-fattened. For only .10/pound, it wouldn't be much of a risk.

Here's the little bit I know. Pure grass fed is supposed to be much healthier, with a good balance between Omega-6 and Omega-3's.

I used to get bison that was pure grass fed. It was very sweet, but had almost no fat. Hard to cook, and often dry. I now buy bison that gets corn 1 day out of 10. The flavor is quite good, and there is just a bit of fat, which helps with cooking.

I get beef from an organic producer. They have said that the various grains (not just corn) they produce are available to their cattle, and the cattle are allowed to feed on the grains as the cattle desire. Evidently, they are not specifically fattened up with grain, as that increases the chance they will get sick, and the farmers don't use antibiotics. The beef flavor is a little varied, always good, but sometimes spectacular. At any rate, what the animals get to munch produces a wonderful flavor that I've never had from mass produced.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I think grass-fed beef tastes better. Chicken and eggs that are not corn-fed taste much better. A lot of other factors favor the grass-fed operations, including the nutritional benefits mentioned above. You can guess what I would recommend.
  • mastiffman
    Options
    Frank, this is my first post. I got my large egg 2-3 months ago and finished my table about 1 month ago. I've really just begun doing much cooking at all, but most of my inspiration for getting an egg was related to a shift toward eating more "straight from the animal" products and wanting them to taste good. But I've sure had fun learning about and cooking on the egg...

I'd like to strongly encourage you to go with 100% grass fed and finished. It 1)more healthy for you and 2)Increases the demand/market for this type of meat for the rest of us :) I know I have read the most of the benefits of grass fed are lost when finished on corn/grain but can't get to it right now (check out "Marks Daily Apple" if you want to look into it further).

I'm also in Omaha. Check out the Nebraska Food Coop if you'd like to try some of this without much commitment.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Welcome aboard - I've had my eggs for about the same period. They are great for healthy eating.

You are an OEM fan? (Yeah, I'm sharp) I had a fawn female for about 6 years. By far the best/smartest/sweetest dog I've ever had, and I've had some good ones. Wife won't let me get another due to the drooling & shedding (until we can afford a cleaning service). At least she let me get the eggs.
  • mastiffman
    Options
    Yes, we have a 4 month old pup right now who weighed in at 58 pounds yesterday. It's our first after having a couple of boxers. I'm expecting the drooling to increase from here, but the wife and I have both always wanted one.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    This is Joe, he just turned 7 and weighs 220 lbs. His only job is to get the newspaper every morning. He is very clingy and has to sit or lay down right under you. You can't dribble a basketball around him, it drives him nuts and he pops them with a single bite. -RP

jojo2.jpg
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Wow, I am jealous. Brindle is my favorite on those guys. My girl topped out at 180 when she was a tad chunky, best at 160 and she was a big, big dog. Joe must be a bruiser. Awesome animals. I'll have to remember Joe when I finally get permission for another one.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Randy, I'm surprised Joe doesn't just take his little old snout and lift up the domes of your eggs while you're cooking. What a pooch! :)

Hopefully mastiffman will show us a pic of his puppy.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Looks like a great dog randy. He's tall enough to reach right into a darn egg.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Thanks for the info, and welcome Mastiffman! Where in Omaha do you live? I'm just south in Papillion.

Randy, that's one large, beautiful dog!

fc
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    WoW! Thats one BIG boy! Looks like he knows good stuff to eat comes out of those BGE's
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • mastiffman
    Options
    Let's see if I can do this. This is shortly after we brought him home.

MmhTo.jpg
  • mastiffman
    Options
    Sorry to hijack your thread with dogs. I'm in NW Omaha.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Did you say boxers??? :woohoo:

Here's my buddy, the old man Kodak
    389620058.jpg

...and the newly aquired Sophie, who is like a turbo charged Tasmanian Devil

389620056.jpg

Your puppy looks like many years of happiness
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    What a cutie! -RP