Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping AZRP Pizza Dough ??

Options
Marc  from IL
Marc from IL Posts: 499
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I kneaded the dough for 15 min. Is this look right ?
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg

Comments

• guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    No, that doesn't look right at all. After 15 minutes of kneeding, pizza dough should be in a very smooth, elastic ball.

__Jason
  • Unknown
    Options
    That dough needs more water. :ermm:
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Here is the dough I used and yeast.
    IMG_1168.jpg
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Marc, guzzijason is right, that doesn't look right. Not sure what you did, but the dough should be the color of flour and in one nice, uniform ball. Tell us what you did exactly. Give it another try, & consider using the method in the slideshow below, it is a very basic beginner level dough; I believe AZRP's method is more advanced & may be more complicated if you are just starting out, so this may be easier for you:

th_IMG_2497.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Unknown
    Options
    Before pitching what you have - add an extra .5cup of water and see if that makes it into a dough. Remember - it's dough - it should look like dough.

I like my pizza dough pretty wet because it gives you nice bubbles on the egg
  • guzzijason
    Options
    Is that the only flour you used? If so, that's your problem. When I make pizza dough, I use King Arthur bread flour, which is ~12.5% protein.

What you have there is vital wheat gluten flour - it is not meant to be used by itself, but rather as an additive to boost the protein level of your dough. I believe that stuff you have there is 75% protein! You'll never get a good dough out of that, regardless of how much water you add. However, you may be able to fill potholes in your driveway with it!

__Jason
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Exactly. Vital wheat gluten is just an additive and not meant to be used alone.

Maybe a Tbsp or so of this in a batch of dough is plenty for a high protein dough.
  • Adult ADHD
    Adult ADHD Posts: 150
    Options
    That dough needs to rest in peace. Start over with plain flour or some of the pizza Molino Caputo 00flour mentioned earlier today that is hard to find.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    There is no way you followed my recipe and ended up with that. Go back and look at what you did differently and maybe you will figure out what went wrong. -RP
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Vital Wheat Glutin is added to recipes to help the structure and rising of bread. You only use about 1 Tablespoon or less in a recipe.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Looks like pulled pork without the bark. :laugh:
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Marc,

Summing up. What these guys said. The vital wheat you used is an additive and not meant as the star of the show. Pizza dough doesn't and really shouldn't be using it.

Zippylip's show is very step by step, well done, and you will get a nice pizza dough.

It's all about hydration. i.e. the ratio of flour to water. For pizza dough you should be in the 65% range. Best calculated by weight not volume but volume will get you close. Zippylip's recipe is a classic ratio. 4 cups of flour translates to approx 500 grams depending on the day and a cup and half of water translates to approx 325 grams.

From there its all about flour and protein content. Go with KA. It the best place to start IMHO and branch out from there.
  • guzzijason
    Options
    civil eggineer wrote:
    Looks like pulled pork without the bark. :laugh:

I thought the same thing... :-)

__Jason
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Thanks for the help, It was the flour I used.
    Zipp thats a great link you made Thanks!
    Pulled flour is not that tasty, :laugh:
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Kevin, you make a good point, and it is something my slideshow doesn't really address, which is the fine adjustments of water to flour ratio (which I have to do on a batch by batch basis as I do not have a scale). With time & many pies comes experience which leads to the proper adjustments up or down from the basic method... Marc

maybe someday I'll buy a scale :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Marc, just depends on how you pull it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , Marc

Pulled pasta:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=815326&catid=1
    happy in the hut