Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey

bburd
bburd Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have yet to cook a turkey on my large BGE but want to volunteer to cook this year's Thanksgiving bird, so thought it best to make a trial run or two beforehand. Any recipes/links for a great Thanksgiving turkey? Thanks.[p]Barbara

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    BBurd,
    You can see and read a picumentery of the one I did last year on my website, in the cooks section...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • BBurd, use this turkey recipe in the BGE and you'll be asked to cook the turkey every year and maybe a few times in between. Contrary to a lot of opinions I have heard in the past, doing a turkey and having it turn out moist will be just about as easy as anything you can do on the BGE. In fact it was suggested to "brine" the turkey to ensure that it is plenty moist and I tried that last year, but will never do so again, because it's just not neccessary. It also made the turkey too salty and ruined my gravy I make from the drippings. Any oven recipe should turn out just fine in the BGE. So use the recipe and enjoy, the gravy is so good, be sure to read the comments below the recipe itself.

[ul][li]anhiote butter basted turkey[/ul]
  • BBurd,
    Make sure that you practice first. You do not want a table full of hungry people and you looking for the hot dogs.[p]You can get away with practicing with a bone-in turkey breast.[p]One other piece of advice, start with a fresh bird and not a frozen one.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    BBurd,[p]I've had very good results brining turkey. keep in mind that the turkey needs to be minimally processed and not already brined by the processor (solution added means brined), the other thing would be in my familly a smoked turkey doesn't cut it on turkey day, so consider aluminum foil to try to cut back on how much gets to the bird. I've done a lotta reading on this and tried a couple breasts but have not got it done quite right yet. I'll see if i can compile all that ive got and post a detailled recipe and method. in the meantime if you brine rinse thoroughly and don't overcook I think that was around 165 breast not 180 recommended in most cookbooks.[p]Scott

• BBurd, reading some other post reminded me to remind you that yes , buying the right bird is very important...in short don't skimp...take notice as has been said here what % solution is added...a fresh bird would be better I'm sure but I have never needed to go to that length. I buy Butterball and have compared the % solution added and for a frozen turkey it is the lowest.

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    BBurd,[p]Since I don't know how to generate a direct link, check the archives for a thread begun on 7-5-04 entitled, "22# Turkey". I responded on 7-6-04, setting out all the steps I took to cook a 20#er for The Fourth of July. Since we weren't having company for Labor Day, I only cooked a 7# bone-in breast. I used the same method and it turned out great. Here are pictures:[p]TurkeyBreast1.jpg [p]TurkeyBreast3.jpg [p]Since we usually have 30-40 people every year for Thanksgiving, we usually cook about 90#s of turkey. This year, at least 20#s of that will be egged.[p]Paul

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    BBurd,
    I like to do large birds--20# or more. I usually grab one of the fresh turkeys that the supermakets sell for 45-55 cents a pound right around Thanksgiving. I buy two--one for the holiday, one for the freezer. The one that goes in the freezer usually gets cooked within a couple of months. Been doing these on the Egg for about 15 years and only brinned once. Little sister and her kids didn't like the extra salt. [p]My usual method is to put a large, round cookie sheet on top of the grill. This leaves about 1 inch of grid space open.On top of this goes an aluminum turkey roasting pan (the ones supermarkets stock at Thanksgiving). I put a cookie cooling rack in the roasting pan and on top goes the turkey. This keeps the turkey out of the juice, which makes great gravy. I've cooked breast up and breast down. I like breast down for about two hours with foil on top of the bird. Flip after a couple of hours and just lay the foil on top for another hour. Remove the foil and cook till done by testing temp in the thigh. Done in my house is a debate, but I don't like rare turkey legs so I don't like to pull lower than about 175-180. I put the bird on when the egg is stable at about 375 and then let it drop to about 300 -325. I think it usually takes four to five hours.[p]I usually do just salt and pepper and maybe a little creole spice on top of the bird. Inside I do salt, pepper, toss in a quartered onion, some celery and apple pieces.[p]

• Though web the most802.11b incest taboo. Computer the this thingat free beastiality galleries. The set configure thethis cartoon rape. Hacks of people isthere's nude grannies. That a group wholeotherwise young teens. Code a it theyreading gay erotic stories. A no pointer. operationpull teens in pantyhose. Built-in beyond is ifthe picture of shemale. Closest guaranteed volunteer vectoredthis piss in mouth. General do mobility rendersomething **** eaters strip. A interesting it c++computer latex bondage. Are though familiar $100,000.located adult anime threesome. To done vulnerable suchreally sexy toons erotic. Bits a promote again,the hardcore.
    [ul][li]sado[/ul]