Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canuck Menu for Pittsburgh Fest

Options
Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Less than 3 weeks 'til Pittsburgh. Trying to come up with an all Canuckian Menu. I gotta tell you it's tuff! (Mainly because of Border issues, transporting raw meats)
Here is what we got so far...
Poutine
Peameal Bacon Roast
Forty Creek Whiskey Ham
Perogies (Not Canuckian but close enough)
French (I think my Canadiens are) Toast

If any other Canucks have any menu ideas. Let me know.

(Plan to take a little OV larger beer with us, just for MAD MAX. :evil: )

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Tim

You could probably give a tortière a try.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Can you smoke some Tim Horton's coffee? Mmm Timmies. In about 3 weeks I'll be upping the Tim Hortons stock by 2 points as I make my annual return. YAY.

Yeah you can't miss with Poutine. That is my favorite food. Is there a way you can make fries supreme ala Taco Bell. That stuff is the bomb and is unfortunately not available down here.

Salmon and wild rice perhaps. Pretty common out west. Is French Onion soup Canadian french? Something with maple syrup. Moose or venison is pretty common.

Have a great time. I'll be shooting right by you on the QEW after crossing at the Fort Erie crossing and heading to Aylmer. Can't wait.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Sure :blink: Recipe? Send it. Gotta buy most of the stuff down there.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Let me know Eggactly when you are coming by. I'll have Timmy's and some Fries Supreme wait to you. Oh ya, and a few Molson Canadian's too! :woohoo:
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    WOW!

First coming to mind would be the maple syrup....

What about some good French canadian beans, a six-pâte but the meat would be a serious problem...

A tortière has potential.

If you go for the poutine, let's me know and would drive down just to see it.

I would put serious taught into the maple syrup. Their is so many things you could cook but add the secret ingredient...

Good Luck!
    Marc
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Grand Oeuf Vert wrote:
    Let me know Eggactly when you are coming by. I'll have Timmy's and some Fries Supreme wait to you. Oh ya, and a few Molson Canadian's too! :woohoo:

c'est tres bon. I think if you bring a few cases of Molson Canadian you'll make friends fast down there fast. ;) If it wasn't for me having the wife and three kids I'd love to stop in for a beer or 10. I always hit a Timmies along your stretch too. There is one on the left and one on the right. I used to just take highway 3 all the way home, but it's too slow. I'd stop at almost all of the Tim Horton's along the way too. Yeah...I miss it that much. I'd seriously have about 6 large double doubles along the way. A stop at Harvey's for a poutine is a must too. :>

I don't have any recipe for most of what I make. Just sort of make it. You can easily get salmon down here in the US. Most supermarkets have it. It will be Alaskan or something. Maybe you could make squash with maple syrup and butter. That would be cheap and somewhat easy. Tastes good too. Haven't made that on the egg, but I'm sure it would be like baking in the oven. Back bacon with maple syrup. Mmm.

Makes me want to drive to PA for this!!! I will be driving that way on the way home mind you. Go right by Pittsburgh heading south from Erie.

Oh and don't forget the cheese curds for poutine. I'm sure you can find some french fries down here or whatever, but I haven't seen cheese curds down here yet. I'm in North Carolina. Home of the Hurricanes. IF you're a Canadians fan (or Leafs) you'd know who we are. I got to be here to see them beat the Canadiens in 2006. I end up using mozzarella. Not quite the same, but pretty good. Gravy makes all things better. Especially french fries.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 28
    Options
    Pittsburgh is perogie central in The US. So they will be much appreciated. This will be my wife and I first Fest. So we are quite excided. Hope to met you there.

Pat
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Really...your first? Wouldn't have thought that. You both will have a blast!! Take pictures for us!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I think there is another "Old Salt" or similar on the forum.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    That's a great idea - I'm sure TIm can get everything locally.

I wonder if he can speak french while he serves it.

Michael
  • Old Salt
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a newbie. I haven't seen another Old Salt on the forum. I used it because I spent 21 years in the Navy before retiring in the 90's. Only been egging for about 10 months and got hooked after the first cook. These things are like drugs once you done it once you can't wait for the next hit.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    The other "Old Salt" is also retired navy, and restored an old Clay Kamado he bought overseas. He joined the forum in 2008.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=17215
  • Old Salt
    Options
    Since he was first maybe I should change my handle to "The other Old Salt"
  • Big Knife
    Big Knife Posts: 35
    Options
    Bison? Might be hard to source it down there though.

I wonder what Beer Can Canadian Goose would turn out like...
  • Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    Options
    Cedar plank some salmon with maple glaze. The glaze is made with maple syrup mxed in with soy sauce and a tiche of brown sugar (although the sugar isn't really needed).
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Hey Tim,

I have never made a Tortière. A google search yields many possibilities including this one by a celebrity chef in Toronto.

http://www.citytv.com/cityline/food/recipes/article/67745--canadian-cuisine-classic-tourtiere

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital