Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Droid or IPhone

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I'm confused. I have AT&T. My choice is Droid or Iphone. I'm testing the HTC Aria now and like it(Droid) I think the phone choices for verizon's droids are better than ATT, but thats not an option. Iphone users sweat by it. So any input, droid or IPhone 4 well be appreciated?

Comments

• HungryMan
    Options
    I have to stick with ATT
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Al,

BGE or Primo? :laugh: Stick with Apple. Superior product as well as service.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Well, what do you want it to do?

I would make a list (yes, I'm extremely OCD) of the 5-8 most important tasks I would expect a phone/PDA to do. Then I would rank them from most to least important. Then I would score each possible purchase in each category and see if there is a clear winner.

Or I would just drag you over to the nearest salesman and make you plunk down $150. ;)

EDIT: After some real quick research I would say he Droid X would almost be worth paying AT&T a cancellation fee and moving to Verizon for that phone. Wow. This is cool for anyone that travels: "Droid X can rebroadcast wireless signals. That means it can use its own 3G connection to broadcast a Wi-Fi hotspot that other Wi-Fi capable devices can use."
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    iPhone is the only way to go. AT&T sucks, but iPhone is still the way to go. Better graphics, more apps, and occasionally, AT&T will let you actually make a call.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I have to stick with att. I have 3 phones there already. I'm only paying 60 bucks to add me with the data plan. To go to Verizon it will be 100+. I have the droid that I have been trying out and it really cool. I just have the ability to switch to the new iphone if I want. out of 5 people that sell att, 4 said droid. It would be nice if att droid phone was a bit bigger.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I have verizon, and I cant complain, their service is great, I also pay for 5 phones for over 9 years, so I have special rights as a customer. Verizon may not have it all in phones but service coverage area is great. Having a phone that can not get signals is useless rather than a phone that gets great coverage, but may not be as fancy.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I love my iPhone (3 in the house) and I have become very dependant on it. Great features, function, graphics and apps. Just took a trip to Chicago and it was my turn-by-turn navigator the whole way there as well as for finding my way around town, places to eat, and so much more. It's my day planner, my alarm clock, my note pad, and a great source of stress relief with a game or three.

Get it and I'll place that shirt order I mentioned back during the OKC eggfest!!! lol

Bruce
  • HungryMan
    Options
    What shirt order was that? I forgot. I have the droid from att and it seems to do a lot more than the I phone as far as integration. 4 out of 5 att employees told me the droid has a better operating system. It also integrates better with google apps and face book. it has 7 pages you can set up the way you want it. Very customizable. I just think the iphone marketing is getting to me. Also everyone that has one likes it.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I'm with you blatt, I stayed away from it for a while because of the that mentality. I'm sure the droid is great but I love my phone...well, not in THAT way!

Al, I was just going to order some shirts for new eggheads that I got to finally purchase their eggs...I'm the one that you mailed the OKC order to and that sent you the "It's an eggthing" shirt.

Will place that order before long.

Bruce
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Your confusing product and coverage.

Do you know Tweeve by any chance? 3 total posts to your name and all about a phone. Got an egg or just Trolling?

ATT has it's obvious limitations. I've just never felt limited in what my phone will do. It's about time others have started to come close to Apples quality.

Quite a few Mac users on here and I don't recall any of them having douche bag issues. I guess your the only one :laugh:
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I know who you are. I just didn't remember the other shirts. Didn't want you to think I forgot who you are. :)
  • Ripnem
    Options
    You don't forget stuff :laugh:
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I run off of forgetting stuff. Ready for my review. I think the droid is much nicer operating system. The dilemma i'm in is this. With att the I phone is the perfect size. the htc aria is a bit small. if att made a droid the size of I phone it would be a done deal. i bought a used 3g and will play with it for a few days. The droid is very much more intergrated with the web/google/ facebook. it makes it easy for an idiot. it's also a very customizable program.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I know nothing about the Driod. but the only thing I can't do that I heard the Droid can do, is act as a wireless internet connection. All the other stuff you can do with the a quick search in the app store and most of mine (apps) have been free.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    blatt wrote:
    The iphone 4 does have the ability to run multiple apps. so that's a bit of a changer.

Of course, consumer reports gave the iphone 4 a thumbs down because of the reception flaw. So much for Ripnem's 'Superior product claim". Besides, if you avoid apple you get to avoid the 'douchebaggery' that comes with being a mac-zombie. Of course I say this while typing on a macbook - DOH!

The reception flaw wasn't the phone's reception problem I've read. The phone is fine. It's the algorithm or whatever that decides the number of bars to give that is the problem.

My wife and I have the 3G and 3 respectively. I love my iphone and can't see ever changing. My neighbour who is insane about new items and has had droids and iphones still comes back to the iphone.

Apple products are inherently well made. You can't go wrong. The new 4 version is awesome. I will upgrade as soon as i can.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Andrew,

You must be looking through the same fuzzy glasses as me. :P

If it ain't broke, I sure ain't gonna fix it. But if it is, that Apple crew is on the service stuff like white on rice. Wonder how service is handled for them Droids.

It's easy to imitate things, but much more difficult to replicate them. :whistle:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The reception flaw wasn't the phone's reception problem I've read. The phone is fine. It's the algorithm or whatever that decides the number of bars to give that is the problem

Not true. Consumer reports just published a study that shows there is a place on the phone where, if you make contact with your hand of finger, it kills the antenna and the phone loses signal.

I have no dog in this fight, I've been a blackberry guy for far too long to make the switch.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I just left AT&T and screwed with the phone. I put my hand all over it and it didn't change the signal. My daughter said it was because we were in there store and the probably have an antenna in the building to make sure their phones work. Now I find out Samsung is coming out with an android for ATT. samsung captivate. It is the size of the iphone what I like. So I went to tmobile who has it coming out tomorrow and played with it. Seemed to work good. Who the hell knows.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Are you the phone boy or the hamburger boy?

or both? :laugh:

take your clown getup to a phone forum ;)
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I love my iphone 4
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Like all about my 3Gs iPhone except the dropped calls.
    Also just updated my 3Gs to accept 4.0 (took about a 25 min upload).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HungryMan
    Options
    I agonized over the decision what to do. I liked the android platform a bit better. I also played with an Iphone for a few days. I didn't like the android phones that at&t had, so I was going to do the Iphone. Then Samsung comes out with a nice phone for android. So now I wanted to look at that one. I went to my phone guy and I was sitting there all confused. He didn't have either phone yet and a waiting list for the iphone still. Now FEDX shows up and brings 3 samsungs and 1 iPhone. I'm told I can have the either one. Here we go again! I ended taking the samsung. Either way I felt I couldn't lose. I think android is growing fast and will improve quicker. Everyone sells the android and I think it's a good product and will get better quicker. Also I'll save money. Apple sells so many accessory's, that I would buy crap I'll never use.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    You probably made a good decision. I like my iPhone, but mostly because of the way it syncs with all my other other Mac stuff and MobileMe. Otherwise I'd look at the Droids.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I know it's too late now, but I love my iPhone 3GS. Had it for about a year and may have dropped 3-4 calls - mostly to my son, who lives in NYC (which is famous for dropping calls).

He also has an iPhone. Was a 3G, but he just bought a 4 and LOVES IT!!! Says all his NYC friends bought them too and that NONE of them have experienced the problem with the antenna. Says you can MAKE it happen, but you have to work at it. All are delighted with the new phone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    The wife and I each got a Droid a couple of days ago and love them.