Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Briskets are harder

smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
From researching it appears the general concensus is Brisket is a more difficult cook to master. Why? I did my first Boston Butt this weekend with my new Digi-Q and it was awesome . My guests raved about it and most ate it without any sauce. I would like to try Brisket next and wondering why it is harder. Put on at 250ish until the internal is 195-200 and done right? Not doubting the experts just curious.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    They are just a little less forgiving then butts and generally finish at a slightly lower temperature. To tell when it is done, stick a fork in it and twist. If there is little resistance, it is done. They can dry out if slightly overcooked so check with a fork once the meat is in the mid 180s and keep checking until done.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Decent brisket is not so hard. Really good brisket is hard, at least in my experience. The "sweet spot" between still tough and too dry is way smaller than butts.

For example, if you read around you'll come across mentions of the "Texas crutch" for doing briskets. That is, the brisket is foiled to get it tender, and prevent drying out. I don't believe I've ever seen foiling butts unless cooking fast and hot.

I haven't done many, but the ones I took off right around 200 were the most tender, but the slices tended to dry quite quickly. Saved the points for cold cuts, and those were wonderful.
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    The reason is simple: There's not nearly the marbling in briskets that you get in Boston butts. This means you get less room for error -- but in all honesty, ever since I went to using untrimmed packer briskets and trimmed them myself (I used to just cook flats that might or might not have a decent fat cap), I have not cooked a dry brisket. I usually cook them to about 185, wrap them in foil, drop 'em in a cooler and rest them from one to three hours. They come out hot and juicy.
  • smoker62
    Is'nt 185 about where they plateau and start the collagen conversion? How do you now when its through that at 185?
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    185 is usually the end of the plateau. Once your internal temp hits 185, the temp will rise quicker. The plateau takes forever, it seems like. I just did another brisket this weekend, and it was fantastic. I cook only "choice" whole packers, and I trim myself. I inject with 1/8 cup beef broth per lb of brisket. I cook fat side down at 230, and do not lift the lid until at least 185 degrees. Then I start checking for doneness. When the probe goes into the point easily (super easily), I pull, double wrap in foil, and put in a cooler covered in towels for roughly 3 hrs. Plan on at least 12 hrs cook time for a whole brisket. Good luck.
  • smoker62
    Thanks, still not sure about the point and flat thing. Do you cook them together or remove the point and cok by itself. I like the burnt ends idea but need to research this a little more before I buy one. My Boston butt this weekend was awesome. I would like to do a brisket this weekend.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Cook together. When the brisket is done, slice the flat and remove the point. Throw the point back on for a couple more hours for burnt ends. I like them too, but the point never survives the taste test, while I'm slicing the flat.