Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

\"Wanted\" Mustard based Barbeque sauce recipe

irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody got a good recipe for a mustard based barbeque sauce. I am doing a whole pig in the egg on Saturday night/Sunday for a competition and I wanted to serve a mustard based sauce rather than tomato based, to try and be a bit different.
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Also, can anybody tell me what kind of mustard is used in these sauces. Any recipes I have researched just say 1 cup mustard or whatever.
Mustard here in Ireland is the very strong flavoured English mustard, or else grain mustard. We occasionally use french or dijon, but these would be specified.
I America what is standard mustard, is it the yellow english mustard, or is it a milder american version.
HELP, I am CONFUSED!!!
Greetings from Ireland, Roger

Comments

• Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    My neighbor borrowed the cookbook I use for this sauce, but here's a close one:

1 1/2 c. cider vinegar
    1/2 c. apple cider
    2 T. prepared mustard
    1 T. brown sugar
    2 T. salt
    4 T. crushed red pepper
    2 T. black pepper

Mix and simmer 15-20 minutes, cool at least 1hr before serving.

Use Colman's mustard (comes in powder form in a can, it's originally English and I'm sure there are many for you on that side of the pond), to prepare the mustard first - this is a much more pungent mustard than the plain yellow stuff in a bottle. Search "Carolina Gold" on the web and you'll find lots of recipe variations, you can mix and match to come up with a sauce to your liking. The end product should have a little sweetness to it and be a rich brownish/gold color. Best of luck!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Roger:

Unfortunately I'm at work so I don't have access at the moment to the one I've done in the past which we like. When I get home (after 7:00pm EDT) I'll post the recipe.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• irishrog
    Thanks Marge. I always worry when using large proportions of the Colemans yellow English mustard because it is such a strong flavor. I will try this out and adjust to taste.
    I also plan to smear the inside of the pig with this musterd before I put him in the egg so the flavours should combine together well.
  • irishrog
    Thanks Jay, that will be great, it's 2.30 in the afternoon here now, so my day is progressing well. What time is it with you?
    Dont work too hard.
    Roger
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    My sauce has yellow American mustard in it. I'm sure you can tweak the proportions. This is a thin sauce, but gets thicker with longer simmering.
    PattyO
    BBQ SAUCE

1/2 C white sugar
    1/4 C brown sugar
    3 C beef stock
    1/2 C yellow mustard
    1/4 C white vinegar
    2 Tbs liquid smoke or 1 tsp hickory smoke salt
    1/2 C Worcestershire
    1 C tomato paste
    1/4 C dried minced onion flakes
    Tabasco pepper sauce to taste
    simmer 1/2 hr, makes 1 qt.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    if it jut says mustard i would assume the cheap yellow mustard, here its called french's, its not a strong mustard, but many of the recipes will add either some dry, some dijon, and/or pick up the flavor with some cayenne to the bright yellow cheap stuff. if you dont have the cheap yellow, find a recipe like large marges that calls it out, the recipe will use lees strong stuff and more of the other ingrediants to round it out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Here is the one I like:

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

Not a thick sauce but great for a finishing sauce or dipping sauce.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I don't have a recipe, but will only say that mustard sauces are fantastic! I use the Sticky fingers Carolina mustard or whatever they call it and the one sold at Harris Teeter called HT traders Carolina Mustard. Oh so good. Great on ribs and BBQ.

May have to try one of these home made ones. How long do they last? Would you have to use it with the cook you made it for? I assume it has no preservative....

Thanks.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Maurice is very popular in South Carolina, Here is a very similiar recipe I gathered awhile back.

Sauce, BBQ, Mustard, South Carolina, Similar to Maurice’s

I didn’t even bother to ask Maurice for a sauce recipe because I knew what the answer was gonna be. If you’re craving an authentic South Carolina–style mustard sauce, you’ll find this sauce tastes just as good as Maurice’s. In fact, if Maurice had this recipe, I believe he’d change his.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard (you should use French’s)
    7 Tbs brown sugar
    8 Tbs tomato paste
    5 Tbs apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp granulated garlic

Procedure:
    1 Whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Don’t overcook. Remove from the heat and let cool. Pour into a sterilized glass jar. Refrigerate between uses.

Yield: about 2 cups

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: Wine Magazine, 2006/06/01
  • irishrog
    Thanks for the recipe Richard.
    Is this a thick sauce like a ketchup, or is it thinner. I am looking for a sauce that will glaze the meat, without sticking it together in a gloopy lump.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Have never made it, but if you do and it is not as thick or thin as you want play with some more vinegar and/or water or just cook it down. Hope this helps.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    It's generally thinner, used for dipping and topping sandwiches. If you are going to use it as a mop during the cook, be careful on the sugar content. Best, J
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Below is a receipe for a hot slaw that you can also just make the hot sauce part of it. It is thin sauce, mustard based and will lite you up.

Hot Slaw Recipe or Just Hot Sauce

Ingredients

Veggie Ingredients
    2 cups - Grated green cabbage
    2 Tbs - Grated carrot
    1 Tbs - Grated onion
    1 Tbs - Grated green pepper (no seeds or membrane)

Sauce Ingredients
    1/4 tsp - Paprika
    1/2 tsp - Red cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp - Salt (non-iodized)
    1/4 cup - Sugar
    1 Tbs - Goya/Crystal hot sauce (or similar)
    2 Tbs - Ketchup
    4 Tbs - Prepared yellow mustard (like French's)
    1/4 cup - White vinegar (add last, stir-in)
    1/4 cup - Apple cider vinegar (add last, stir-in)

Directions
    • Add dry sauce ingredients to a medium sized pot and mix well.
    Stir in the ketchup and mustard until well blended and paste-like.
    Stir in the vinegar a little at a time to avoid clumping.
    NOTE: The cayenne and hot sauce can be adjusted to whatever
    level of heat that you prefer. Double it if you want your temples to sweat.
    • Heat up to just short of boiling while stirring occasionally.
    This will blend and bring out the flavor of the spices.
    • Remove from heat and let cool a little while you grate the veggies.
    • Grate the veggie ingredients. Put the grated veggie ingredients
    into a pint-size container with a lid that can seal.
    • Pour sauce over the veggies and stir well. It may seem like there's not enough
    sauce for all the veggies, but once stirred well it should cover everything.
    Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 24 hours, allowing time for
    the flavors to blend, soften and pickle the veggies, and generally thicken up.
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Some good looking sauce recipes in here. Marking this for later to try some out. Thanks all
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I'm a Hoosier myself, and still have many family members there!

Welcome...where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Roger:

Just got home and remembered to post the recipe...it's 7:00pm EDT here (you're probably sleeping at the moment)

Chef & the Fat Man Mustard BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

0.5 teaspoons garlic powder
    0.5 teaspoons onion powder
    1 cup yellow mustard (French's here in the States)
    0.5 cup balsamic vinegar
    0.33 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon cayenne (more if you want a better kick)

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients together and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. This should make enough for a normal cheap plastic squeeze bottle.

I have always done just the recipe (usually without the cayenne) so I don't know if making larger batches would alter the taste. Good luck with whichever recipe you use!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• irishrog
    Jay, Thanks for remembering to post the recipe.
    The common ingredients I have are,
    French's Mustard (available here in IReland)
    Cider Vinegar (or balsamic)
    Garlic powder (or minced)
    Onion Powder (or minced)
    Brown sugar
    Worcestershire sauce
    Cayenne pepper
    Salt & Black pepper.

Optional ingredients, tomaot paste, Tabasco sauce
    butter, lemon juice.
    I think I will make the sauce with the ingredients which are common to all three recipes, and then adjust to taste with the various other ingredients which have cropped up in the other recipes.
    Thanks everybody for your help, it's much appreciated,