Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rubs

Options
LoggerHead
LoggerHead Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my BGE medium for 3 weeks now. If I had it to do over I would have bought a large and a small. Done ribs, overnight butts, chicken, seafood, trex steaks etc. Love all the helpful hints and suggestions this forum has provided. Today's question : Can anybody recommend me pre-made dry rubs they like for ribs or links for dry rub recipes? Seems like this forum thinks pretty highly of Dizzy dust, but i dont have it in my area. I can however get bad byrons about thirty minutes from where I live. Thanks to all in advance. Also I am in SE missouri and if anybody coming this way would wanna swap a large egg for a medium egg I would gladly pay some difference....

Comments

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Loggerhead,
    SmokinIntheDark.com - award winning SW Missouri BBQ team. I think they won the Royal a year ago.[p]I started out with these rubs and went on to make my own. Making your own rub is not that hard ... Paul Kirk has a book that makes it pretty easy. Its just a matter of finding flavors your family likes.

• I bought a 4 pack of rubs from Dizzy Pig and they are all fantastic. They shipped here in KC in about 2 days so they would probably take the same amount of time to get to MO. You can access their website from The Naked Whiz's eggceptional site.
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I would recommend you try this old timer by Walter Jetton from the LBJ Barbecue Cook Book.[p]I reduce the amount of salt.[p]Dry Rib Seasoning (for ribs)
    6 tbs salt 6 tbs sugar
    1 tbs dry lemon powder
    2 tbs MSG or other pep powder
    2 ½ tbs black pepper
    1 tbs paprika[p]And as noted,Paul Kirk's book(s) are another good source.[p]Toy Man[p]

• LoggerHead
    Options
    Thank you all...
    I will give those a try.

• Loggerhead, I can testify how good all assorted styles of Dizzy Dust rubs are. In the mean time, the link below will take you to Norm Corley's web-site. Norm has posted and properly credited over 100 rub recipes on this site. I am sure you can find one in this list that will work for you until your next shipment of Dizzy Dust arrives. [p]I spent several years repairing bridges in your area, including the old MO HWY 74 bridge over the Mississippi at Cape Giradeau. Where are you located in SE MO?[p]Lager,[p]Juggy

[ul][li]Norm Corley's Rub List[/ul]
  • LoggerHead
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    I am actually located in Cape Girardeau............Small world..BTW, thanks for sending the link !!

• LoggerHead
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    You ever have the ribs at Hickory Log restaraunt in Dexter,MO?? That is the taste I am looking for..

• Loggerhead, It has been about 13 years since I have been through Dexter so I can't be of much help on that. Glad the link helped out.[p]I would have loved to seen them demolish the first span of that old rickety bridge. I still have nightmares about working on that thing![p]Lager,[p]Juggy[p]

• LoggerHead
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    The new replacement bridge is magnificent. When i was younger we would visit my uncle in Marion,IL and i was always nervous to cross that bridge. When going across the new bridge and looking at the old one before it was partially demolished it appears my anxiety was well deserved...:)

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Loggerhead,
    I did some ribs yesterday, and ran out of my secret recipe rub (it's secret only because I can't find the scrap of paper that I wrote the ingredients and amounts on). I grabbed a jar of Penzey's salt-free adobo seasoning that I recently got but hadn't tried, and sprinkled it liberally on a half-rack of ribs after wetting it down a bit with some bottled lime juice. The adobo ribs were quite good, definitely warranting further investigations using the adobo seasoning mix. [p]Bob

• Loggerhead,[p]Did you speak to you're dealer about wanting to do a trade-up?
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Loggerhead,
    Loggerhead,
    I have used the following which have had great results for over the counter spice/ rubs[p]Durkee Grill Creations" brand
    "chicken and ribs rub"
    "seven pepper"
    "grillin spice"[p]link below

[ul][li]Durkee[/ul]
  • LoggerHead
    Options
    Tony,
    No I havent. Thats a good idea, I might give it a shot.[p]

• Loggerhead,
    I think Durkee makes some really good rubs. I just did two butts with the grill seasoning on them. The flavor was great. Going to take some of them meat to work tomorrow and feed the fellows. [p]Jerry

• LoggerHead
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Actually just ordered the combo pack from smokin in the dark.

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    Loggerhead,
    Try Willingham's Wham Seasoning. Its great on Pork Butts we have ude it for a couple years at the neighborhood Bar-b-Que. I tried it on ribs over Labor day it's got a little bite on a smaller cut of meat, but its a great pork rub. I got it at Bar-B-Ques Galore.
    Enjoy,
    T[p]