Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzones

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I've been enjoying pizza on the BGE and even made a pepperoni roll with left over dough, I'd like to try calzones. Any hints? I'll use the same 00 flour as I do in pizza dough. Just need time and temp. I haven't been impressed the calzones on the stone in my oven altho the pizza in there is very good. There must be a trick that I don't know.
Thanks
PattyO

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Morning :) use how you do your pizza as a guide. I drop the temp a little so the insides have time to bake and not burn the bottom. but rest is about the same.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    I like to use a dough that has a little more yeast in it, and I'll use olive oil (about 1/4 cup in a normal batch of dough). Not sure if 00 flour is necessary, but if you use it use extra water so you get a stretchy consistency.

If you want to seriously "puff" it give it a 20-30 minute rise on the peel after filling and shaping, then bake. Brush more oil on the crust right before it goes in and the color will be great. Mainegg is right, a lower temp is fine (no more than 400). Best of luck!
  • alice in eggland
    Options
    PattyO,
    Great minds think alike or something like that! I too plan to make calzones today...except I have yet to do pizza on the egg and my calzones must be gluten free...share a photo please, ill try to do the same... :cheer: if they turn out!