Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IN REMEMBRANCE OF CAR WASH MIKE

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Very cool adaptation of My Way. -RP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Blair, Brought tears to me. Nice post my friend!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beernuts
    Beernuts Posts: 71
    I did not know Mike, but he was always so helpful on here - plus, I always believed you can tell a lot about a person based on his friendships - Mike seemed to be friends with everyone here, and that says a lot

RIP
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Thanks RP, the idea popped into my head when it was decided to do ribs in Mike's honor. A great song for a great guy offered up with much respect and a bit of humor. :)

Gator

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Blair, Beautiful post TKS mi amigo
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Mike, but the outpouring of friendship here has been so phenomenal, I certainly wish I had! My sincere condolences to Mike's family.

As for ribs, I don't do them often, but I wanted to pay my respects. They were very good, the best I have cooked! Unfortunately, I ate the entire rack at one sitting - I won't need to eat again for a week!!

4782233719_676edf8b18_b.jpg

4782869556_47b352134d_b.jpg

4782869822_96a48b6c94_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Thanks Stike!!

I'm not much on the keyboard...so I appreciate that you were able to say so many of the things I would have...if I had a few days to peck it out!

My experience with Mike goes back damm near to the stone age, (or maybe the Kro-Magnan period)!
    With the exception that I was physically with him at many fests...my experience was much the same as you portrayed.
    We spoke on the phone sometimes a couple three times a week...most times till my cell or portable battery would die.

You couldn't be more correct...he was a character,(with everything that entails)!! While I won't elevate him in his passing above what he was in life here, truely...
    he was the "genuine article"! It was that quality that ran thru most everything I know about him.

We were favorite targets for each others hummor! But,(while I am infinitly funnier than he)...tagging me with the nickname "Chubby Love"
    was one of his prouder acheivments between us, and one I may never live down!!

His spirit is/will be missed on this forum! I'm sure he'd be proud,(if not awfully embarassed) at all this attention!!

P1010033.jpg

But I'm sure he'd find a way to endure it... :whistle:
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Sorry - no pics - I'm painting my living room :(

But my thoughts and prayers are constant - both for CWM and the faithful members of this wonderful forum.

RIP CWM -
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Rebecca :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: first time I see this photo thank you so much for sharing it, poor Mike he deserved much better from me.... :laugh:
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Molly, it seemed to fit.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Beli, Mike was near the very top of my list of forum members I would like to meet and that is a very long list. You my friend are near the very top of that list also. :)

Blair

• P7110352.jpg

P7110353.jpg

made my best ever CWM BBs on the 27th of June ... we texted as I cooked ...

P6270311.jpg

P6270314.jpg

had Fred and Sheila over...Fred is the one who bought his BGE this Spring....they LOVED the ribs AND the Blues Hog Mike had given me in Denver last year!

As I was prepping the ribs this morning, had to chuckle....when putting the ribs on a few weeks ago, hubby said "You didn't cut the ends off. Mikey always cuts the ends off. I thought you were doing them Car Wash Mike style!"
    Had to laugh out loud as I explained:
    That's because when he cooks 6 racks of ribs at Eggfests, they all won't fit unless he cuts the end off of a few of the racks!! You know, like the "cutting the ends off the ham" story!!

Mike used to have me take pictures of him "looking mad" like this one in Plano last November...

PB070371.jpg

here is my best "Mad Mikey" look from this morning after putting the 3 racks on the EGG -- and I waited an hour after lighting per CWM instructions :ermm:

P7110356.jpg

One more anacdote...in Plano, my long-time "big sis" and her husband came and ended up purchasing a Large BGE - no surprise to anyone here!! They were asking me which one they should take :whistle:
    Of Course I eagerly said "Take Car Wash Mike's EGG! He taught it how to cook his ribs today!!
    They did!

PB070378.jpg

PB070384.jpg

Also introduced Avis, my "big sis" to Mikey, my "little brother" ... sure is great to get to pic your "family" B)
  • Chubby
    Thats Great!!

I've got several of those pics of CW too!!

"Mug Shot Mike" is what I called'em!!

Thanks!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I only got to meet Mike once in person in Plano. Talked a couple of times on the phone and lots and lots on the forum.
    I will miss you Mike.Thanks for all you did.
    Today:
    photo-14.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gator Bait

Hi Beernuts

There are many of us here that never had the pleasure of meeting Mike, myself included, but got to know and appreciate him. It's all part of belonging to this amazing family of eggheads. :)

Gator

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Gator,

Very nice job. ;)
  • Chubby
    Well...somewhere you're having a laugh on me!!

One of our running rants was whether "Ribs" were Loin Back...or Spares!

"Only a sissy would cook Loin back Ribs"
    "Heck...those are like the diffence between a real Truck...and a Tonka Toy" I'd say, much to his bemusement!!

So at least today Mike...you win!!
    I'll finish them with the requsite Blues Hog...of course!
    I hope they pass your inspection!!

P10100012.jpg

Love ya!!
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Wow! I haven't been here in a few weeks and I log in to find the answer to a rib question and this pops up. Very sad. It just so happens I got a rack of baby backs for tonight's World Cup so chalk up 1 rack from across the pond for me.

I never knew Mike but I've read tons of his posts. Reading the posts from people that knew him makes me think he's the type of guy everyone would love to call a friend. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
  • 2 racks from someone who is not a rib person. Mike knew I don't like eating stuff off of the bone. He said he would happily take his ribmeat off the bone for me at Eggtoberfest, but only for me. I thought that was really sweet.

So here is my tribute to Mike, cooking 2 racks on the egg for the first time ever. I followed his instructions to the T. I made spares and babybacks to do a taste test comparison.

Baby backs on right, spares in the middle. To the left is the part cut off of the spares, I don't know what it's called.

P7103133.jpg

Here is the winner of the competition, the baby backs. No sauce needed. I gave some to my neighbor, and he said they were better than any restaurant.
    Not bad for my first time!

P7103138.jpg

I would never even have attempted this if it weren't for Mike. His way of making ribs will live on in this forum forever. What a great legacy.

May he go with God and rest in peace.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Faith, you nailed the CWM ribs. What a tribute from a nonribby egger. Sounds as if he spoiled you.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    2 more just going on for Mike, these will go to feed the nurses taking care of my wife. Some are already checking the forum when I told them of the tribute to Mike. Will post finished pics later tonight

Rubbed and ready to go back in the fridge for 1 hour

100_4122.jpg

going on

100_4124.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

ribs1.jpg

and a past cook.
    ribswet1.jpg

Whenever I do ribs there will be the memory of Mike.

Thanks Mike for the help.

Kent
  • Pat, hope your wife is OK....of course, the ribs will ensure she is getting the very best of care B)
  • I ate the entire rack at one sitting

now that's a real tribute B)
  • Three slabs on now, a little late.

9d2f1f33.jpg

as i prepped them with the mustard, i realized that mike's were the very first ribs i had ever done on the egg. if he were here, i would give him heck about the whole "vinegar breaking down the collagen" thing. hahaha
    c'mon, mike. whattaya say? wanna explain that one for me?

alas... you know, i think i'll let it go and just enjoy them. thanks buddy.

and my doo-rag. my youngest said "dad. um, why are you wearin a banbana?" and i just smiled and said "because. Just because"

0772143d.jpg
  • thanks
    my eyes are a bit damp from your post
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Stike, glad to see CWM got you out of the witness protection program! :lol:

Now go and post a copy of your doo rag photo on the doo rag thread as well.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I never met CWM, never talked to him in person but did chat from time to time here.
    Momma and the kids are coming home this afternoon and we have invited friends to come for ribs this afternoon.
    Rest and eat well Mike!

Walt
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    My condolences to his family, friends and all his Egghead buddies:

389571831.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Here's a couple from Eggtoberfest 09'.We were just hangin out in the hotel parking lot when Mike asked me to take a picture for him.He wanted this picture as proof that he "finally" gave Bente his grinder attachment that he had promissed to send him forever.Here's your proof buddy........

DSC_0002.jpg

Here's another shot where Mike's trying to teach Bente how to work his camera...

DSC_0021.jpg

Rest in peace buddy...........