Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn husks

Options
Blizzard58
Blizzard58 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
why do people pull the husks off of the corn but still leave them attached to the ear of corn that they cook on the egg?

Comments

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I haven't seen it done that way but I used to cook my corn in the husk and then peel it down to use as a handle...at that point the husk is pretty well browned so maybe that's what you are seeing. Just an educated guess...

Bruce
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    I've recently searched this on the forum and read that it can be preference of whether you want the slight char on the kernel, which can be achieved without the husk. Keeping the husk on would keep the kernel from browing. Has to all be relative to time/temp to a point I'd imagine.

From this forum...I've been soaking 'in husk' cobs in ice water; raised grid, direct 350-400 for 30min or so....turning a few times. It's been wonderful. Everyone is the family wants corn all the time now...and I can't blame them. I even felt I left a few cobs on too long. They were still very, very good. We've actually been eating without butter, s&p or seasonings. But that's plain stupid. :)

Just what I've read and done on my own. Either way, I think you can't go wrong on the Egg.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I used to always peel back the husk, remove the silk, and replace the husk...some even tie it closed at this point. Then I would but it in a bucket of water stalk-end down for a while and grill it that way. This basicaly steams it and it is very good!!

I've since been removing everything and cooking it more direct with frequent turns. It adds some great color and in my opinion that's the carmelization of the sugars and the flavor of the corn is even better.

Can't lose either way!

Bruce
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Because they don't know any better! :laugh: ;)
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    I just put the ear on straight fron the stalk. Sometimes I might shuck them and cook em naked. Like it both ways!
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    maybe it their opinion of a presentation. You know, like, why do some people like square plates.
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Options
    Square plates have more square area and can hold more food. I guess.

Baby j
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Options
    Now I'm craving that Mexican corn I had in Chicago. Elotes????

Baby j
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    Options
    The past few times I have cooked corn on the egg I just shucked the corn sprayed with olive oil And cooked direct heat while cooking dinner. It was very good and unique. I still like corn cooked with husks on because they tend to taste just alittle sweeter. I have seen quiet a few pics of the corn with the husks pulled back looking like they were cooked that way. Sweet corn is good no matter how you cook it