Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP; Confused about BBQ ???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I have never used a BBQ or Smoker. I'm interested in purchasing a BGE, but reading all the posts here has me confused. All the talk of setting up drip pans and plate setters and raised this or that. I don't know if I can figure out all these different setups. Is there a book (with pictures) or video out there that explains this stuff. I don't even know what all I need to get started ????? [p][p]

Comments

• clueless,
    The BGE comes with a video and how to start and use the Egg. It is a very simple smoker to use and there is no other you will purchase that has the versitility of this machine. Buy the Big Green Egg. This forum will be an asset to your cooking. I have two Boston butts on the Egg right now. I put them on last evening about 5:30 pm and they should come off in two to three hours from now. When you taste the food cooked on the Egg, you will be more than glad you made the purchase.[p]Jerry

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    clueless,[p]A lot of the members have their own websites with great pictures and answers on them. Here are a few, sorry if I forget some....just add them on.[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    http://www.wessb.com
    [p]These will provide you will a ton of info and you can also search the archives for a lot of good info too. This forum is great and will help you get everything figured out. Just post your questions anytime.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]Forgot one already. [p]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com[p]BBQ Spice Rubs
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />clueless, here is another site with lots of pictures and recipes. Also make sure taht you check out the FAQ section.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • ravnhaus
    Options
    clueless,
    I also have some tips and photos on ceramic cooking.
    Nothing to it!

[ul][li]ravnhaus BBQ[/ul]
  • Thanks to all! It’s great to get a huge serving of help hold the ridicule and slams! Maybe all forums should try this…
  • TxEgg
    TxEgg Posts: 19
    Options
    clueless,[p]I'd recommend starting with the basics. Get a BGE (I have a large--if you cook for your family, I'd recommend a large).[p]With the BGE, you can smoke pork and briskets, grill hamburgers and incredible steaks, and many many more items. Bottom line, it will be an excellent smoker and an excellent grill.[p]Read up on how to start your fire...once you learn how, it is really easy to repeat. Also, temperature adjustment after a few times is relatively easy also.[p]The main thing is that the food tastes better than anything I've ever eaten before. I won't buy a steak in a restaurant anymore because I'll be disappointed.[p]A good recipe to start with is spatchcock chicken. It takes about an hour to cook and is hard to mess up. The Naked Whiz has it on his web site.[p]Good luck!
  • Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    clueless,
    Beyond the suggestions already made if you are in the Atlanta area or even close check out the Eggtoberfest in October. You will meet the masters and see first hand the techniques that are not hard. You will really accelerate your learning.[p]Buzzy